Oil change. Wrong bolt drained to impeller gulley

Jdon317

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 Roadster
Hi looking for some advice. 2014 Roadster I did an oil change and made a basic mistake undoing one of the bolts to the oil gulley to the scavenger impellers. The one just behind the front sump plug. Oil drained out I then completed the normal oil change with the correct three drains and filter. I filled with 5.4 litres of oil. My question is can I just idle the bike or does it need some sort of priming. Appreciate advice please

just to confirm the only question I’m asking is due to having taken the wrong bolt out and drained the gulley does that gulley need priming. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not too familiar with the oil system on the R3 but in general the scavenge pump will just spin idly until there is oil to scavenge back to the oil tank. I don't think there could be any damage from starting the engine and letting it idle until that reservior is filled with oil.

I drain the oil add new filter
Pour in 4 liters run bike a minute or so add 2 more liters and ride. The first thing after the filter to get oil is the main galley the mains will have oil before the oil get pumped up to the head in back where the oil sensor is located.

I'm not too familiar with the oil system on the R3 but in general the scavenge pump will just spin idly until there is oil to scavenge back to the oil tank. I don't think there could be any damage from starting the engine and letting it idle until that reservior is filled with oil.
Hi thanks for the answer, I now have the engine management light staying on. Oil light goes out as normal. Any ideas why

Ok I haven't a idea why the engine light is on. Because mine is not as new as the roadster. But as the oil pressure builds quickly you should realize the oil pressure relief bypass valve in the transmission releases oil spraying in the transmission. So although there is a moment of no oil in the sump it is but a breif moment. The bypass will be open when the oil light goes out because you have exceeded the minimum pressure to open the bypass. Hope this is not confusing. Pulling a galley plug did no harm its just they are a tapered thread NPT. So they seal unlike the straight drain plug threads.
I take it you do not have a method to read the code?

Ok I haven't a idea why the engine light is on. Because mine is not as new as the roadster. But as the oil pressure builds quickly you should realize the oil pressure relief bypass valve in the transmission releases oil spraying in the transmission. So although there is a moment of no oil in the sump it is but a breif moment. The bypass will be open when the oil light goes out because you have exceeded the minimum pressure to open the bypass. Hope this is not confusing. Pulling a galley plug did no harm its just they are a tapered thread NPT. So they seal unlike the straight drain plug threads.
I take it you do not have a method to read the code?

Hi no I don’t so I don’t have a code. Just wanted to make sure it was safe to run the engine. I will let it idle see if the management light goes out. Were on lockdown so not easy to get out for a ride to see if it settles down. Thought it might be a sensor not liking the fact I drained the gulley. Thanks for the reply.

Hi no I don’t so I don’t have a code. Just wanted to make sure it was safe to run the engine. I will let it idle see if the management light goes out. Were on lockdown so not easy to get out for a ride to see if it settles down. Thought it might be a sensor not liking the fact I drained the gulley. Thanks for the reply.
You'll probably find its not the draining of the galley that is the oil sensor that reads pressure and then sends the signal. I used to drain mine all the time just to get as much old oil outof it as I could. Until my dumb arse realized that it was kind like reaching around the toilet to wipe my arse. If nothing wrong it will go away after so many cycle test. But reading it can be quicker. It's like the ABS light that comes on untill you start riding then it goes out.

You'll probably find its not the draining of the galley that is the oil sensor that reads pressure and then sends the signal. I used to drain mine all the time just to get as much old oil outof it as I could. Until my dumb arse realized that it was kind like reaching around the toilet to wipe my arse. If nothing wrong it will go away after so many cycle test. But reading it can be quicker. It's like the ABS light that comes on untill you start riding then it goes out.

Cheers mate that’s what I’m hoping. I will let you know

Back