Oil Brands (might switch)??

imaclagan

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Rocket Roadster
So I will be changing the oil for the second time, about to hit 6000, thinking of switching from the Castrol 4t. I'm asking only because I'm worried about switching to the 5-40 that the dealership is now carrying, I'm not a big fan of how the clutch operates in hot summer traffic, and I'm in new England so its not THAT hot. Any suggestions on grade and brand?
Thanks, Ian

this time ive used shell advanced ultra 4T 10w40 fully synthetic and a K&N filter.

oh, i am in old england lol

Amsoil is the best money can buy, but it's pricey and not widely available.

Short of Amsoil I stick with Mobile One in all my vehicles, it's a true synthetic where most of the less expensive "full synthetics" really aren't.

Any certified 4T full synth should be safe however.

The problem with oil threads is that everyone has an opinion and most are, to some degree, right. You rarely see any short term failures related to oil type, viscosity or even oil quality...the emphasis being on "Short Term". These engines should use a multi grade synthetic oil, 40 weight being the important number. Whether it is 5W, 10W or even 15W 40 really doesn't mean anything because bikes usually don't run below freezing. I always use a premium synthetic. I've tried Rotella T6, Amzoil and Mobile 1 4T. Mobile 1 shifts the best over the longest period of time. Amzoil is good but overpriced in Canada. The Rotella T6 is a lot cheaper, full synthetic and meets the JASO and MA standard but the transmission gets snatchy earlier than Mobile 1. I'll stick with Mobil 1 4T.

Back