Oil and Oil Filter

xguidojr

.020 Over
The owner's manual is pretty vague about oil type and doesn't say anything about the filter. Any suggestions on brand of oil? I used Mobil 1 M/C oil in my last bike and it worked great, but is 20/50.

What oil filter does the Rocket take?

Any help would be appreciated.

Go to Autozone or some other chain store and they should have Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40. You'll need 6 qts.

Also pick up a Mobil 1 oil filter with the last 3 digits of 108. I think its called M1-108. It is an exact replacement for the Triumph filter and fits under the chrome cover.

The owner's manual is pretty vague about oil type and doesn't say anything about the filter. Any suggestions on brand of oil? I used Mobil 1 M/C oil in my last bike and it worked great, but is 20/50.

What oil filter does the Rocket take?

Any help would be appreciated.

Might checkout www.motorcycleinfo.com. Definitley gives ya a few more choices. I like to explore all options available. Am currently using the Rotella T6 5W-40. Also the oil filter automotive crossover is useful.

Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

All of these filters will fit the Rocket, with the Pure One being the best (found @ pepboys). Thier design & structure makeup are superior to your typical motorcycle filter. Checkout the article & decide for yourself. Many of my buddies @ work have crossed over & now they swear by it.

The reference above to the Mobil 1 oil filter, M1-110 was incorrect in the original post from some years ago. The correct size is the M1-108. I just went out and pulled my cover off to confirm.

Seems if though we've opened Pandoras box about oil. If nothing else, Mr. Lawrence's web site provides some interesting trivia as well as useful tech tips. Will take all the advice under advisement. Purolator is definitley the best filter. Use the longer lengths, there's plenty of room. Provides more filter media like Tripp said. Unless you have a cover or fairing over it, then go with the stock length.

Point of interest. Mobil 1 M1-110 is a good p/n, is the longer version of the stock length M1-108.

Whew,was almost worried, am glad to see I'm not the only jack wagon raisin his hand & sayin he's runnin a car filter.

Wayne, kinda curious what you found & the results of the teardown from the above mentioned motors, mileage on, what was worn, how worn, etc.

Regarding Oil quality. I will probably use Omega 603 for engine and another Omege for final drive. don't remember the number on that one.
Anyone familiar with the Omega 603 oil? seems to be really good, too good to be true perhaps?

Regarding Oil quality. I will probably use Omega 603 for engine and another Omege for final drive. don't remember the number on that one.
Anyone familiar with the Omega 603 oil? seems to be really good, too good to be true perhaps?

Not familiar with that one so you might want to check & make sure it doesnt have the molybdenum (friction modifiers) in it, could cause clutch slippage or failure. Triumph also, recommends a fully synthetic oil. You might look @ post #6 of this thread ( PowerTripp's recommendations ) or you can checkout http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html for more options. If you do decide to use the Omega oil & its not synthetic, just make **** sure you change it every 3,000 miles. While the mineral based oils dont have the longevity, studies have shown for them to hold up to 3,000 miles before they begin to really breakdown. Especially in motorcycles where they receive a constant thrashing from the gears. Once again make sure it doesnt have molybdenum (friction modifiers) in it.

Back