Oh No What Have I Done

roadster

.020 Over
Ride
2015 roadster X
i fitted a set of ikon progessive fork springs to my 2010 roadster as per the workshop manual it felt much better than std but a couple of months latter noticed some howler scrathes in chrome on bottom of fork.pulled them apart again drained oil into a container & then came a heap of steel shrappnell not sure whats happend but it dont look good. bush in top part of leg looks brass this is metalfillings i just dont understand what may have happened any it looks trying to save my self a buck is gunna cost a buck or two sorry just realized im in the wrong forum

Last edited:
The bushings are Teflon coated brass. So, to have steel shavings in the oil, and scratches on the chrome, the spring would need to rub on the chrome tube. NOT good.

could not see any rubbing on spring inside or outside could it be a failer down in the dampener cheers for thoutghts on the prob

As the spring is inside the tube it simply isn't possible for it to have damaged the chrome directly. A very unlikely cause of your problem could be that the springs are so firm they've misshaped the inner fork leg, resulting in bowing and therefore rubbing. Almost impossible, especially given the springs you've used.

Most likely cause is that you have inadvertently damaged or dislodged one or both of the bushings when you changed the springs out. Depending on how much damage has been done you might be able to fix it by re-chroming the damaged leg, although most likely you will need new forks. Either way, it is very costly I'm sorry to say. As I found recently bushings are not readily available separately for our upside down forks (unlike the Touring) and Triumph only list them as part of the forks themselves. This means your best - perhaps only - option is replacement of the fork leg with a new or used one.

The standard Rocket fork tubes do not have inner and outer guide bushings like are found on most forks, like the Touring models. As a result, if the single bushing is damaged or dislodged, the fork tubes can rub together.

sent forks to a suspension shop to pull forks apart & rechrome fork sliders still wating on chroming anyway i rang today they said there wasnt anything to crazy going on he did seem to concerned with what he found ?? but said it may have been a bit of swarwf from new & when i first drained them it unsetteld it?? anyway they gunna shim dampner up wack them together & the jobs rite hopfully all for about $1000.00 aus fingers crossed.But im still really none the wiser on what really happend

Back