Oh no! Another brake pad thread!

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I did read one other thread about brake pads but it wasn't specifically about what I'm interested in.

First, does anyone know what composite is used for the stock R3T ABS brake pads?

Second, I see there are a lot of positive comments about EBC HH pads here. However, when searching for info, a couple other links came up with horror stories about how the EBC HH pads caused very fast rotor wear (one person claimed it ruined is rotors in 100 miles!!!!!) and someone else claimed they produced a lot or brake dust and didn't brake any better than his original pads. Also, some claim they are very noisy. I was just about to order EBC HH pads when I ran into those threads so I wanted to do some more checking and this is the place to do that. Also, some say that how the EBC HH pads wear the rotors may depend on the composition of the rotors.

With rotors as expensive as they are, I want pads that are easy on them but give good braking without a lot of brake dust. There are compromises.

I'd like to hear from as many people as possible about how the EBC HH pads stopped, if they caused excessive rotor wear, and if they produce a lot of dust. (I hate cleaning the wheels!) And if anyone knows what the composition of the original pads that come on a R3T ABS, I'd like that.

The stock R3 pads are made of what they call "organic" compound. The EBC HH Sintered are great pads to put on your Rocket. No noise, no rotor ware, no dust ... just great stopping power. Buy them, install them, ride them and have no fear. Just be sure to do the proper break in procedure.

I did read one other thread about brake pads but it wasn't specifically about what I'm interested in.

First, does anyone know what composite is used for the stock R3T ABS brake pads?

Second, I see there are a lot of positive comments about EBC HH pads here. However, when searching for info, a couple other links came up with horror stories about how the EBC HH pads caused very fast rotor wear (one person claimed it ruined is rotors in 100 miles!!!!!) and someone else claimed they produced a lot or brake dust and didn't brake any better than his original pads. Also, some claim they are very noisy. I was just about to order EBC HH pads when I ran into those threads so I wanted to do some more checking and this is the place to do that. Also, some say that how the EBC HH pads wear the rotors may depend on the composition of the rotors.

With rotors as expensive as they are, I want pads that are easy on them but give good braking without a lot of brake dust. There are compromises.

I'd like to hear from as many people as possible about how the EBC HH pads stopped, if they caused excessive rotor wear, and if they produce a lot of dust. (I hate cleaning the wheels!) And if anyone knows what the composition of the original pads that come on a R3T ABS, I'd like that.

Original Triumph pads are sintered metallic pads. I ordered some & slapped em on. after bedding them in, they constantly squealed worse than before. sh!t canned em & ordered the EBC HH's, bedded them in properly. They have been on for a year, stop WAY better than the Triumph pads, way better! All pads will develope brake dust, can't get around that.

Ebc all they way bed them per instructions they will be great. If they ever start to squeal, do the bedding procedure again. No more nasty black brake dust you get with the oem pads!!

Ebc all they way bed them per instructions they will be great. If they ever start to squeal, do the bedding procedure again. No more nasty black brake dust you get with the oem pads!!

Good clarification Jag, the Ebc's leave a little pad dust but not NEAR what OEMs leave

Yep. They gave me a replacement but I never put it on. Got the stock one back on there now. Pulsates a little, but I can live with it. Wanna buy a brand newsy steel one ;)

Thanks, everyone. I'll go with the EBC HH pads. The complaints about them wearing out rotors may have been because of the make-up of the rotors. I know that different metals are used in rotors.

As for brake dust, I know you get some dust with all brake pads but some are much better than others. I've always done my brake jobs on all my vehicles and I remember once getting a set of pads that made my wheels look like coal in a matter of hours! They were semi-metalics which usually aren't too bad. For my cars, trucks, etc., I've been going with ceramics lately.

I did notice that one person who responded here said the original pads (by Triumph) are organic while another said they are sintered metal. I should be able to tell which they are when I take them out by looking at their color. I had them out when I changed tires and I think they were gray/black if I remember correctly. If so, that should mean that they aren't full sintered metal because they would be a coppery color if they were.

Thanks again! I'll order the EBC HH pads today.

You guys have been very helpful.

Back