MikeDeY

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Roadster
So my Rocket has needed a new head for awhile. Long story. Anyway, I finally bought one off one of our forum heros.... and was neck deep in the swap process today. The manual recommends re-sealing the cylinder sleeves.

As I was seating the the first sleeve, I got a little over-zealous and about an inch of the top compression ring broke off... and into the crankcase. I might be able to fish it out with a magnet... if not, I'm in for some fun times.

One of those makes you feel sick in the pit of your stomach moments. Hope you sort it with minimal pain.

That is so true. I hate that feeling. As for the OP, that's the kind of sh!t that happens to me all the time. I wish you well my friend. Let us know how you make out.

So my Rocket has needed a new head for awhile. Long story. Anyway, I finally bought one off one of our forum heros.... and was neck deep in the swap process today. The manual recommends re-sealing the cylinder sleeves.
As I was seating the the first sleeve, I got a little over-zealous and about an inch of the top compression ring broke off... and into the crankcase. I might be able to fish it out with a magnet... if not, I'm in for some fun times.
if you can not locate it you can pull the sump pan to get at the lower end you then pull the 8 main bearing ladder bolts and drop the ladder with the windage tray/oil baffle and you can get into the whole lower end. Oh and the only time I reseal liners is when I pull them. I have changer the pistons and rods without pulling the liners. And I have done it the Triumph manuals way. Personally I would just order new rod bolts and change the pistons from the bottom leaving the liners. I have swapped heads, cams, pistons, and rods without pulling the motor or the liners.
can I ask which cylinder and do you have the clutch cover off the front of the engine?

Being just a wanna-be motor head, what is involved in "resealing" the liners, and why would one do such a thing -- as in -- what is the purported purpose ?

Mike, that sucks! Hopefully the magnet will work! If not, warps method sounds like something you can do fairly easily?
Bigger question is how long will it take you to get a replacement sleeve (and gasket if you have to pull the sump) on the island?
We've had a week of beautiful weather here in the Pfalz....of course my bike still won't be back together until tonight or tomorrow and rain's on its sway in :( at least you're guaranteed good weather when you get her wrapped back up ;)

if you can not locate it you can pull the sump pan to get at the lower end you then pull the 8 main bearing ladder bolts and drop the ladder with the windage tray/oil baffle and you can get into the whole lower end. Oh and the only time I reseal liners is when I pull them. I have changer the pistons and rods without pulling the liners. And I have done it the Triumph manuals way. Personally I would just order new rod bolts and change the pistons from the bottom leaving the liners. I have swapped heads, cams, pistons, and rods without pulling the motor or the liners.
can I ask which cylinder and do you have the clutch cover off the front of the engine?

Yeah that's the plan if I can't get it out with a magnet. I didn't really want to pull the cylinders, but I had bought the tool real cheap awhile ago and figured I'd give it a shot. I don't want to pull the pan... I'd have to devise a way to lift the bike and all that jazz... sigh.

Being just a wanna-be motor head, what is involved in "resealing" the liners, and why would one do such a thing -- as in -- what is the purported purpose ?
The service manual recommends resealing the liners any time the head is off. Basically, you start with one cylinder BDC and use a cool puller tool to pull it out. Clean it off, clean the block, then apply some sealant and reseat the liner. But I realized the best way is to rotate the engine to TDC and GENTLY rock the liner onto the piston again.... Do NOT attempt to coax the liner back in with the piston at BDC.

Mike, that sucks! Hopefully the magnet will work! If not, warps method sounds like something you can do fairly easily?
Bigger question is how long will it take you to get a replacement sleeve (and gasket if you have to pull the sump) on the island?
We've had a week of beautiful weather here in the Pfalz....of course my bike still won't be back together until tonight or tomorrow and rain's on its sway in :( at least you're guaranteed good weather when you get her wrapped back up ;)

I don't need a new sleeve... but I would need a pan gasket which would take a couple weeks to get in if the Harley dealership doesn't have one. Luckily I have my ****** rocket to ride until the real Rocket gets running again. I miss the German roads!

Back