Odd Vibration

Dr.D

Octane Boost
Ride
Indians and the R3 2014 Roadster + TFC
I’ve gone a bit past the 600 mile interval for service and about to take it in but Sunday I developed an odd vibration. It occurs only when riding from 55-65 mph, is rpm independent, even occurs while costing with the clutch pulled in and is absolutely rhythmical.

The bike vibrates for two seconds then smooth for two seconds then shakes again for two and is perfectly rhythmical. It is not noticeable below 50 or above 70. I’m thinking it is a tire or wheel out of balance? I’m taking it into the dealer tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

I too would first suspect the tire/wheel combination. And again, I would be looking askance at the dealer -- even with you being the best kind of customer in existence, the economics of the motorcycle business is such that the mechanics (I hesitate to call them that) are under pressure to spend as little time possible on any given work. Tedious, detail-oriented, time-consuming tasks, not readily seen by the end user, are the first to go.

I’ve gone a bit past the 600 mile interval for service and about to take it in but Sunday I developed an odd vibration. It occurs only when riding from 55-65 mph, is rpm independent, even occurs while costing with the clutch pulled in and is absolutely rhythmical.

The bike vibrates for two seconds then smooth for two seconds then shakes again for two and is perfectly rhythmical. It is not noticeable below 50 or above 70. I’m thinking it is a tire or wheel out of balance? I’m taking it into the dealer tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like you isolated it to past the transmission. Does it have wheel weights - are any missing. Check your tires over real well

I too would first suspect the tire/wheel combination. And again, I would be looking askance at the dealer -- even with you being the best kind of customer in existence, the economics of the motorcycle business is such that the mechanics (I hesitate to call them that) are under pressure to spend as little time possible on any given work. Tedious, detail-oriented, time-consuming tasks, not readily seen by the end user, are the first to go.
I believe these guys will take care of it. I’ve already spoke to them and they are expecting me. I have no problem asking them to remove both wheels and check them for balance and tire quality. This is the new TFC and it has Avon Cobra Chromes on it. They know I am a good customer but very demanding also. I have money to pay if funds are needed.

I’m hoping it is not drive shaft related.

Sounds like you isolated it to past the transmission. Does it have wheel weights - are any missing. Check your tires over real well
In the far recesses of my mind I think I might recall hearing something in the rear. I thought it might have been a rock picked up but now I’m thinking wheel weight.

Let us know what they find Doc.
I will. They will fix it what ever it is. I will require them to ride it before they start the service so they can feel and see it for themselves. They are good to me and I to them.

They won’t get any more deer jerky or Christmas cookies if they falter.:whitstling:

Back