Occasional stalling coming to stop

Busaboy

.040 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket III
New to me 2005 with 23K miles. The bike has stalled 4 times in the past month. Stalling occurred while in 2nd gear and slowing down to come to stop. The R3 makes the same BIG clunk like my old Vulcan 2000 when shifting from 2nd to 1st prior to coming to a stop. Due to this I wait till a fairly slow speed before down shifting to 1st. Never a problem on my old VN2000 or my present Stratoliner.

I cannot tell if my holding the bike longer in 2nd is why the bike stalls or there is some other issue. It has happened so few times I can't nail the reason yet.

I downloaded a new tune for my setup and upped my idle from 750 to 800. Bike stalled again last night. In checking the throttle body sync I found a variation of 20. Hard to know what the "real" numbers are since the display only varies in units of 10, 640, 650, 660 ...etc. Does anyone know what Triumph differences considered "Balanced"?

ylFaV9SMVKP_L-07ueM5TKjZ9VT0UYEOeznsNXi7faOJEJNvg85I6CoYgfUaXEU98WXiHVuLQr6wHNffQWj0MHMN3It2-oz3rUXpkAaAxRcZCAz3Fj672kIaLOtJ6MfmlWmgmAohc4hwHPgmX759zHeoQuM1TvnFc_TI8MPo2_8bDn6JCaFYEFVh7HFmR2xSVHis7nWXVENngB39f1sZv_TyVTMeg7DAQ-6loEZtSJn9h1gyIZV2RZEJ2VTSaCdL6cRbHXwnk62UQ6bdUCV-ZRhESIrXGLpImCIy263RewmQsG_id44UHcLKVWWrfdKun8GmNCgTXNNL9E2axnz2wr_8YMJJBawPFJESla7yDy9naehmIXSaDN0hSxqB0pXn6Y0I9tHHQ07Xq8HGSMh4Nqyeia-AtP9GyQZI1-zl3v6smCX-qg_UNobkdg7wF6LNlZimJ4MkPFVG8-UAkeY71Fj2O50qwWAZA0XcBiJxY2W2B5J9YmmQxBnf8LqzQbCbGis5sUBQifqLy0GzWstw7EQm8lZsP_gPy19Er-nVpyo=w1021-h559-no

Last edited:
The throttle bodies are balanced when the numbers are the same. What that actual number is can vary a lot depending on idle speed, ambient air pressure, and a bunch of other things. You can get the numbers all the same, but it is a pain in the neck with the OEM air ducts.

You may also want to check your TPS settings as that could cause those problems.

The throttle bodies are balanced when the numbers are the same. What that actual number is can vary a lot depending on idle speed, ambient air pressure, and a bunch of other things. You can get the numbers all the same, but it is a pain in the neck with the OEM air ducts.

You may also want to check your TPS settings as that could cause those problems.

It must be a real PITA. The numbers jump around. 650,650,670...640,650,670...640,640,660 ..etc. The third number is always higher

I'm no mechanic, so I'm simply making a suggestion. but I had a stall issue when my bike was new and it behaved like what you're experiencing. It would stall on when downshifting to stop. I don't think it happened only in second gear though, only on downshift/decal. The second time I had it in the dealership tech mentioned the stepper motor voltage. Anyhow, I don't recall having issues thereafter.

Ddi you clean the throttle body springs and linkage with copious amounts of WD40 before trying to check and balance them buggers. They get dirty and sticky, especially in between them.

Front

PA210284.JPG

in between

P3270058.JPG

right next tot h fingers which are pointing to the adjustment screws.

Ddi you clean the throttle body springs and linkage with copious amounts of WD40 before trying to check and balance them buggers. They get dirty and sticky, especially in between them.

The linkage looks OK. Some minor rust on the CAM where the throttle cables attach. I sprayed a lot of penetrant on everything when I first got the bike.

I checked sync with TuneCPU but did not attempt to adjust anything. I have the stock airbox-filter setup so I held off. Before I start tearing things apart I want to learn more.

It's kinda annoying that TuneECU (ECU limitation?) only shows changes in increments of "10". I blipped the throttle many times to see how the 3 measurements track each other. Eventually the displays settle into 640,640,660.

I just went out for an hour ride in the city. Many stops and no stall. The bike did get "congested" a few times during a slow down requiring a clutch pull and throttle blip.

Last edited:
The linkage looks OK. Some minor rust on the CAM where the throttle cables attach. I sprayed a lot of penetrant on everything when I first got the bike.

I checked sync with TuneCPU but did not attempt to adjust anything. I have the stock airbox-filter setup so I held off. Before I start tearing things apart I want to learn more.

It's kinda annoying that TuneECU (ECU limitation?) only shows changes in increments of "10". I blipped the throttle many times to see how the 3 measurements track each other. Eventually the displays settle into 640,640,660.

I just went out for an hour ride in the city. Many stops and no stall. The bike did get "congested" a few times during a slow down requiring a clutch pull and throttle blip.
Probably could use a ISCV reset !!!

Hi Busaboy,

Those numbers for you throttle bodies sync will be fine. Mine were like that when I had tha OEM filter system and idle was solid. I think Warp's suggestion of an ISCV would be the next step and it's fairly easy with TuneECU.

On a related topic, I just fitted a Ramair and that changed the throttle bodies sync numbers a bit and put them out of wack. In another thread, Warp mentioned that the ISCV should be checked after doing a sync and he was right (as usual ). I had to adjust number 3 quite a bit and the voltage for the primary TPS had dropped from the prescribed 0.6V to 0.57V, - which is out of spec'. So kudos to warp!

Regards,
Mark Dunn.

Back