O2 sensor using autotune

hoopla

Mained to ride!
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 GT
One of the things that I noticed during the first ride, was the huge change in fuel mileage.

So, ok I've checked through the autotune set up and I can't see where they specify the O2 sensor setting.

Considering that the system wants feedback from the sensor, I think the O2 sensor should be checked.

Let me know if you have thoughts in this regard.

Thanks

Hoopla

I checked the tune I loaded and the o2 is currently unchecked.

Is the NBO2 plug capped off with the cap supplied with the PCV - Should be. But either way unchecked is fine.

Thanks,

What I didn't realize is that the tune I loaded from Clav, doesn't match up with the map I got with the pcv. The pcv map really only matches up well with the stock tune. I'm going to put the stock tune in and let the auto tune do it's thing in regards to my target afr's.

The stock ECU allows you to set operational parameters across the board. I do NOT use factory or 100% secondary throttle values. I play - different per gear. I also force the use of MAP tuning fairly high up the rpm range. The PCV is then left to assist me in AFR/fuelling measurement/adjustment.

I need MAP really. My altitude variations are huge. This coming Wednesday I will go from 700M altitude to well over 1000M (1200 iirc) then down to Sea Level.

Interested you noticed a consumption change. With Rob's tune I found I started to use quite a bit more, though the beast was an ABSOLUTE joy to ride.

One of the things that I noticed during the first ride, was the huge change in fuel mileage.

So, ok I've checked through the autotune set up and I can't see where they specify the O2 sensor setting.

Considering that the system wants feedback from the sensor, I think the O2 sensor should be checked.

Let me know if you have thoughts in this regard.

Thanks

Hoopla

I checked the tune I loaded and the o2 is currently unchecked.
One thing I noticed on a 2017 roadster with the stock tune is that is a large difference in the fuel when you disable the stock O2 sensor with TuneEcu, with the O2 sensor selected the bike runs lean but disable the O2 sensor the bike runs rich.
I welded an extra O2 sensor bung in the exhaust and ran both a wide band O2 data logger and the stock O2 sensor to check.
Also if you install the autotune sensor in the stock location with the stock sensor disconnected and you do not uncheck the O2 sensor in TuneEcu you will get a check engine error light.
There is a adapter that can be plugged into the stock O2 sensor plug to fool the ECU that the O2 sensor is working but I do not see the advantage of that.
The PCV kit I received did not come with the adapter, nor mention one, I suspect that before programs such as TuneEcu were available that could disable the O2 sensor (for off road racing only not to be used on any street or highway) the adapter was necessary.
Rick

Last edited:
Interested you noticed a consumption change. With Rob's tune I found I started to use quite a bit more, though the beast was an ABSOLUTE joy to ride.
Apparently the tune from Rob was not intended to be used with PCV, but as stand alone, because it was directly off of the dyno. The fuel of Rob's tune plus the PCV addition was just way to much. I'm surprised it ran as well as it did. I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with DynoJet and the map in the PVC when purchased it intended for use with the stock Triumph tune, which we know is very lean. So right out of the box it's adding fuel the target AFR's and it's adjustments couldn't do enough to adjust fuel to the target.
I suppose I could keep on accepting the trims and eventually get there, but I think I'm better off starting with a tune, the stock one, to get my AFR's in line.

The one thing that I forgot was that the PCV has a map of it's own that is used inconjunction with the bikes ECU, and in my case with Rob's tune, it added up to too much fuel.

I'm going to try both ways, Rob's tune with no PVC, and stock tune with PVC. I'm thinking that long term, I'm going to use the PCV because of the benefits of the by gear tuning.

It's going to be a while though, I have shoulder surgery on Monday and will be unable to do much for at least 6 weeks and more likely.

Thanks for all of your comment and help.

Hoopla

One thing I noticed on a 2017 roadster with the stock tune is that is a large difference in the fuel when you disable the stock O2 sensor with TuneEcu, with the O2 sensor selected the bike runs lean but disable the O2 sensor the bike runs rich.
I welded an extra O2 sensor bung in the exhaust and ran both a wide band O2 data logger and the stock O2 sensor to check.
Also if you install the autotune sensor in the stock location with the stock sensor disconnected and you do not uncheck the O2 sensor in TuneEcu you will get a check engine error light.
There is a adapter that can be plugged into the stock O2 sensor plug to fool the ECU that the O2 sensor is working but I do not see the advantage of that.
The PCV kit I received did not come with the adapter, nor mention one, I suspect that before programs such as TuneEcu were available that could disable the O2 sensor (for off road racing only not to be used on any street or highway) the adapter was necessary.
Rick

My understanding is when the adapter is used, it sends a constant signal to the engine's ecu, saying that the AFR is good and sets of a stable platform for the PCV to work from. When the adapter is used, I now believe that the engine's O2 sensor doesn't care if the box is checked or not.

Thanks

Hoopla

Apparently the tune from Rob was not intended to be used with PCV, but as stand alone, because it was directly off of the dyno. The fuel of Rob's tune plus the PCV addition was just way to much. I'm surprised it ran as well as it did. I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with DynoJet and the map in the PVC when purchased it intended for use with the stock Triumph tune, which we know is very lean. So right out of the box it's adding fuel the target AFR's and it's adjustments couldn't do enough to adjust fuel to the target.
I suppose I could keep on accepting the trims and eventually get there, but I think I'm better off starting with a tune, the stock one, to get my AFR's in line.

The one thing that I forgot was that the PCV has a map of it's own that is used inconjunction with the bikes ECU, and in my case with Rob's tune, it added up to too much fuel.

I'm going to try both ways, Rob's tune with no PVC, and stock tune with PVC. I'm thinking that long term, I'm going to use the PCV because of the benefits of the by gear tuning.

It's going to be a while though, I have shoulder surgery on Monday and will be unable to do much for at least 6 weeks and more likely.

Thanks for all of your comment and help.

Hoopla
You can run the PCV with autotune on Rob's tune but you need to zero out the fuel trims in the PCV (zeroed map) before you start the trimming process. This allows the PCV and autotune to start trimming only off the ECU. If you look at the target AFR values on the PCV, the chart does not cover the lower throttle or RPM ranges, so you need a close base tune to cover areas not covered by the PCV (and to reduce large adjust values). I also have the O2 sensor turned off and a bypass plug installed in the OEM O2 harness. Works very well.

You can run the PCV with autotune on Rob's tune but you need to zero out the fuel trims in the PCV (zeroed map) before you start the trimming process. This allows the PCV and autotune to start trimming only off the ECU. If you look at the target AFR values on the PCV, the chart does not cover the lower throttle or RPM ranges, so you need a close base tune to cover areas not covered by the PCV
Thanks
Isn't this the greatest forum :)

I didn't know about the zero map capability. So what you are saying is that I can somehow go into PCV(not the autotune targets correct?) and wipe out the map that came with the PCV, and start from zero correction.

I don't know how to look at the PCV target afr values, only the autotune values, how is this done.?

Thanks

Hoopla

Back