O2 sensor disconnected

Rolls-Hog

.020 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
I’m working with my 2008 R3T that I bought last week. I just loaded a tune from TuneECU and have the 0031 error, O2 Sensor Circuit Open. Poking around I find the sensor had been simply unplugged. There’s no way of knowing how many thousands of miles it’s been that way. It has to be caked with carbon. I’m thinking it would be a bad idea to just hook it back up. Maybe pull it and clean it? Leave it until I can get a kit to remove it? Since I’m still a little kid and want to ride it, are there downsides to leaving it disconnected until I get the kit or clean it?

Rolls

If it were me - I'd quickly unscrew it - have a look - maybe give it a clean - put it back in - connect it - reset the error and go out and see what happens. It's a narrow band sensor and they are generally fairly robust (so I am told by the Audi mech' next door) - or what @Penner said

Hey. First, I dont know whats been modified on the bike, or what tune you loaded so take what I say with that in mind.

You said "you loaded a tune from tunecu" into the bike. Id guess the previous tune had the o2 box unchecked (no engine light on), and the current tune has the o2 checked (check engine light on)?

Regarding reinstalling the narrow band sensor, id say clean it with a solvent rated for sensors and reinstall if thats what you wish....make sure the tune you loaded has the o2 checked, and run the 12 minute tune and go from there.....

That’s a good point. I assume it has stock pipes. It appears stock, I’ll check into that. The tune I loaded was R3T_stock_or_slip-on.hex. If I uncheck the O2, do I need to reload the map or reset or am I done for now before I check the sensor?

That’s a good point. I assume it has stock pipes. It appears stock, I’ll check into that. The tune I loaded was R3T_stock_or_slip-on.hex. If I uncheck the O2, do I need to reload the map or reset or am I done for now before I check the sensor?
I believe you need to reload the tune.

FCF7964B-E450-4A7D-ABA1-962D80D36CD1.jpeg
It doesn’t look as bad as I thought it might. I’ve cleaned it, reinstalled it and plugged it back in. The error code is reset and shows no errors. I’m thinking I should be able to ride and the ECU will be happy at this point without resetting.

Back