Numbers don't match???

Torque addict

Supercharged
Ride
'05 R3 w/Aerocharger turbo
So I'm finally trying to get to the repairs on the Rocket I bought and wrecked back in March (actually wrecked then bought for those that remember my sad story) and I notice that the number on the engine doesn't match the number on the frame and ECU. Frame and ECU are both the same with SMTCOOL465 something and the engine is stamped COOL415 with totally different numbers following.

I'm thinking this is so totally NOT COOL that apparently this is not the original engine for this bike? When I went to buy the bike it didn't even cross my mind to check these numbers. One of the reasons I bought it was because of the low mileage (7,500) and now who knows how many miles might be on the engine. Thinking somebody might have fried the original with the turbo and threw this one in? I hate not knowing the history or condition of the engine if that's the case. The appearance/condition of the bike is pristine (except for what I wrecked) and so is the engine. They look like they match.

Even if it's a stupid question I thought it was worth asking if the numbers not matching are normal. Hopefully that is the case but I think I know what you're going to tell me.

Are you out there Wayne (Power-Tripp)? I spoke to you on the phone before I bought this bike. It's the silver '05 with the Turbo Connection kit you had in your shop almost a year ago to replace or install a BOV (pics in my gallery). It got shipped to somebody in Oregon which is who I bought it from. You told me it had blown a head gasket at one time (don't think you did the repair on that). Do you know any other history on the bike or anything about a replacement engine?

Thanks guys.

I don't know anything about a replacement engine on that bike. As far as I know the original owner in TN had a local shop put the turbo kit on the bike and never really put any miles on it. The second owner here in Birmingham, AL was the one who blew the head gasket due to excessive boost, and repaired it himself. He later sold it to the third owner in Oregon. The Oregon owner had me add the blow-off valve prior to shipping it from AL to OR. That is as far as I know anything about the bike.

I don't know anything about a replacement engine on that bike. As far as I know the original owner in TN had a local shop put the turbo kit on the bike and never really put any miles on it. The second owner here in Birmingham, AL was the one who blew the head gasket due to excessive boost, and repaired it himself. He later sold it to the third owner in Oregon. The Oregon owner had me add the blow-off valve prior to shipping it from AL to OR. That is as far as I know anything about the bike.

Cool, thanks for the quick response. That all sounds like what I remember being told before so it's good confirmation on the history and I'm hopeful that it's the original motor.

I don't see a way to send private messages with this new forum format so while I've got you here can you enlighten me some on that BOV you installed? I'd like to know the manufacturer and model number if you remember but more importantly does it open from positive boost pressure at a certain point or only open under vacuum when hooked up to a vacuum line (tapped into the back side of the throttle plates)? Reason I ask is it's not hooked up to the vacuum line so I'm wondering what good it's doing unless it also relieves excessive boost pressure at some point (with the throttle open). I'm planning on hooking it up to the vacuum line unless you know why it's not already or there's some good reason not to. I thought that's the only way these things could work. Thanks.

Can anybody else help me with the non-matching numbers? Please check your bike. Are all Rockets like this?

Have I mentioned yet that this forum rocks?

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the quick response. That all sounds like what I remember being told before so it's good confirmation on the history and I'm hopeful that it's the original motor.

I don't see a way to send private messages with this new forum format so while I've got you here can you enlighten me some on that BOV you installed? I'd like to know the manufacturer and model number if you remember but more importantly does it open from positive boost pressure at a certain point or only open under vacuum when hooked up to a vacuum line (tapped into the back side of the throttle plates)? Reason I ask is it's not hooked up to the vacuum line so I'm wondering what good it's doing unless it also relieves excessive boost pressure at some point (with the throttle open). I'm planning on hooking it up to the vacuum line unless you know why it's not already or there's some good reason not to. I thought that's the only way these things could work. Thanks.

Can anybody else help me with the non-matching numbers? Please check your bike. Are all Rockets like this?

Have I mentioned yet that this forum rocks?
Let me see if I can shed some light on this about the valve if it is a BOV Blow off valve it opens under vacuum like when you let off the throttle so it does not have excessive boost with no fuel. this would create a detonation and need for things like a new head gasket and or incuding new pistons and worse if it is extreme. Now if you looking to make sur eyou do not go into over boost or want to limit your boost then you would also want to add a BLV Boost limiting valve which is controlled by the excessive back pressure in the intake tract.
Now from reading your discription of how it is hooked up a blow off valve is adjustable by spring pressure if one were to not hook a vacuum line up to a blow off valve it would work much like a BLV I have also run a BOV with a one way vacuum valve so it could function as both but do to the expense of pistons and head gaskets I went to usinf both a BOV and a BLV. The BOV should flutter at idle as the c=vacuum would be higher and the BLV is strictly opened by excessive boost pressure at any RPM.
Hope this helps

It is a BOOST LIMITING VALVE, and the turbo is an Aerocharger with variable vanes.

The ONLY contact I have had with this bike was two owners ago. I was asked to perform a compression test, install a customer supplied boost limit valve, and hold the bike until it shipped.

For more details, contact prior owners.

Back