Now it's gushing oil

Wrecka

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3R
Put the new Cam Cover gasket on today , did an oil change , it went together well.

I put 5.3 litres of oil in it, started it up and "BOOM" oil started gushing from the left side of the motor , i found the area quite quickly, to the right of and just behind the oil tank , there are what look to be two little breather holes just below the head on the block the oil is seeping out of the right hand one when the motor is running , when revved it gets faster , what are these holes ? Does it sound like my block is building pressure and forcing the oil out ? Where is the pc valve so i can at least check it, buike is unrideable like this and im basically stuck driving my car to work with rooted brakes.

Seriously thinking of getting rid of this bike now as a 10 month old bike with only 37000 klms shouldnt be having these sort of issues....................

Put the new Cam Cover gasket on today , did an oil change , it went together well.

I put 5.3 litres of oil in it, started it up and "BOOM" oil started gushing from the left side of the motor , i found the area quite quickly, to the right of and just behind the oil tank , there are what look to be two little breather holes just below the head on the block the oil is seeping out of the right hand one when the motor is running , when revved it gets faster , what are these holes ? Does it sound like my block is building pressure and forcing the oil out ? Where is the pc valve so i can at least check it, buike is unrideable like this and im basically stuck driving my car to work with rooted brakes.

Seriously thinking of getting rid of this bike now as a 10 month old bike with only 37000 klms shouldnt be having these sort of issues....................

You need to put like 3 quarts in then start it and let run for a minute or so then add 2 more and let get hot enough so cooling fan comes on. Then add to full mark. You have to much oil at once. Let idle and clean area and recheck for leaks.

Sounds like she's stuffed mate. Give ya fifty bucks for it, leaks and all........:evil:

The little holes of which you speak are probably the drain holes for the spark plug recesses in the head (so that any moisture that gets in there does not fill up the plug recess.)

Sounds like the ring of the cam cover gasket that surrounds the back plug recess is incorrectly installed, allowing cam chamber oil into the plug recess, and then out the drain hole. Lift the rear plug HT lead and look. If so, cam cover off again to fix.

You need to put like 3 quarts in then start it and let run for a minute or so then add 2 more and let get hot enough so cooling fan comes on. Then add to full mark. You have to much oil at once. Let idle and clean area and recheck for leaks.
Mate
Sounds like she's stuffed mate. Give ya fifty bucks for it, leaks and all........:evil:

The little holes of which you speak are probably the drain holes for the spark plug recesses in the head (so that any moisture that gets in there does not fill up the plug recess.)

Sounds like the ring of the cam cover gasket that surrounds the back plug recess is incorrectly installed, allowing cam chamber oil into the plug recess, and then out the drain hole. Lift the rear plug HT lead and look. If so, cam cover off again to fix.
Spot on mate , Hanso just called me and told me the exact same thing, you blokes are great , already arranged day off from work tomorrow to "fix" it all over again , Hans set me straight on how to silicone the gasket before assembly , i'd only done the D's that the manual outlined , i should be alot quicker at it tomorrow :)

One thing I've found when working on these bikes - a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. It's way too easy to feel that we know everything about something. The trick is knowing when you need an expert to help you rather than just an "expert". Thankfully you got help from a couple of the former. I wasn't game to change mine myself and was fortunate to have Hanso help me (actually he did it; I watched).

How many times have we heard these famous words only for the problem to be the owners error;) glad it is nothing serious and a day off work is always good.

Wrecks them little breather holes are for moisture drainage from the spark plug cavities. So if they are leaking oil then most likely its the plug gasket area that slipped out. you have to be careful and watch the whole gasket to make sure it does not slide out while your running her down. You can use something like Permatex on them but it is not needed. If you do chose to use a gasket sealer then I would recommend hylamar. No matter what you want to make sure there is some gasket sealer where the cam gasket area is in the front and rear of the motor the manual shows you what areas should have sealant.

I follow the manual but if I felt the gasket would not hold I would not hesitate to run Hylamar gasket material on either of mine.

your crank case vent is in the back of the engine. In the picture below you can see mine from the left rear just under the filter box. Of course this is not the one most use for the triple filters its merely one I bought at the local auto parts store. I used a 90 to make it easier to remove and clean regularly which should be done so you block pressure is bled off.

P3210046.JPG

I gave another picture of the normal K&N set up but can not locate it right now. I will keep looking for it but in the mean while someone else might have saved one. anywya they both fit up to the same location it is just mine is easier to remove (for me at least)

Back