Now I'm really bummed...

Goblin

.020 Over
Well I just got back from the local Triumph dealer, hoping that a TPS swap and recalibration would cure my Rocket of it's idling and poor running issues.
No luck. As a matter of fact, it's running worse than it was before!
He even changed the idle motor, which made no difference.
Now it idles even rougher than it did before, and the power loss at speed is still there. Do any of you guys know what could be causing these issues?
Any help would be appreciated as the dealer doesn't seem to have any answers!

This will sound back woods.. but here is what I did..

My bike was idling rough and randomly between 500 RPM - 3000 RPM.. My dealer said they couldn't duplicate the problem. Funny, I duplicated it right there in the parking lot.

When I got the bike home, it was idling rough at 3,000 RPM. I figured I couldn't mess anything up worse, so I loosened the TPS and moved it back and forth. One way adds more fuel.. one way puts less fuel. I listened carefully and got slowly adjusted it until the bike was running smoothly. It was still idling at 3,000 RPM, but running great!
So.. I figured I would try backing off the idle stepper motor. I backed it off until the bike was idling at about 800 RPM.

I've put about 5,000 miles on it since then and it runs great!!!! I may need to bump the idle stepper motor up just a bit, as my bike now needs to warm up for a minute or so before it smooths out, but it runs great! and ALWAYS comes down to a smooth idle when I back off the throttle..

Thanks a lot for this info!
I'm going to try it in the next little while and see if it makes a difference.
Like you, I figure it already screwed up, so I'm happy to give something else a shot!
I'll definitely let you know the outcome...

it is under the engine near the starter just above the rear sump plug. you remove bolt. pull out sensor.is a bit tight has a o ring on it to seal. will lose a bit if oil out hole.if it has been sitting for awhile it will drop quite a bit of oil.clean with cloth to remove metal particals. and put back in.this part reads the crank which inturn tells the ECU and the coils.injectors when to fire. do you have the bike manual, it is in there give it a read first

Dave

Are you letting it cycle when you turn the key on before starting???? I know if I don't I have to shut it off and restart it.

John

Well I've got my fingers crossed...
Just got back from the dealer for the second time, where they replaced yet another stepper motor, recalibrated the TPS, and lo and behold, the bike seems to be running right! It's the first time since I've owned the bike, that's it's run smoothly, but it was definitely worth the $800+ I had to spend.
Now I can turn my attention on spiffing the bike up a little!

Back