Not so much a TUNE as where to run software

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
This is aimed at those of you who would like your Operating system to simply load and work - not say Hi, and Nice to see you here

It is a BLOODY TOOL not a friend. God I hate Windows.

Anyway my dear old trusty netbook I use for TuneECU and PowerCommander stuff plus one or two fringe tool config programs has been starting to show it's age a bit. It runs Windows7Starter which is about as lightweight as you can get unless you want to use Microsoft ThinPC. But the electrons are getting tired. And Rob's MAP based tune data was giving the 3D graphing a hard time.

I had a little ASUS VM42 sat idle since I moved to an OSMC Vero4K for Kodi support - so --------------------------

Win10 is FULL of bloatware and Social Media crap - but for those of you with an inkling of doing things as man, not Microsoft, intended - Heave Ho! m'hearties.

Scan about for Windows Enterprise LTSB - This comes BLOAT FREE. Sadly though you cannot obtain it (legally) unless you happen to have a serious account with Gates & Co.

Yes you can get a 90 TRIAL version online. And if you are patient and an infrequent tuner - it's an option.

But I'd look for a cracked version (no I am not telling folk where on an open forum). You either have a pirates soul or you do not, arghhhhhhhhhhh! - But I will say this, there is a source offered by Gen2 which runs and is ad/virus free.

What ever you decide :- Load the legal Winaero tweaking tool which allows you to turn of ALL Microsoft reporting (read legal spyware) as well as many other things which give you a TOOL (not a bloody social media platform) that is stable.

Stage 2 - will be to see if I can get TuneECU to run on Linux. FTDI has Linux drivers for the cables - and maybe I can get TuneECU to run in WINE. It's a brave new world.

This is aimed at those of you who would like your Operating system to simply load and work - not say Hi, and Nice to see you here

Anyway my dear old trusty netbook I use for TuneECU and PowerCommander stuff plus one or two fringe tool config programs has been starting to show it's age a bit. It runs Windows7Starter which is about as lightweight as you can get unless you want to use Microsoft ThinPC. But the electrons are getting tired. And Rob's MAP based tune data was giving the 3D graphing a hard time.

I had a little ASUS VM42 sat idle since I moved to an OSMC Vero4K for Kodi support - so --------------------------

Win10 is FULL of bloatware and Social Media crap - but for those of you with an inkling of doing things as man, not Microsoft, intended - Heave Ho! m'hearties.

Scan about for Windows Enterprise LTSB - This comes BLOAT FREE. Sadly though you cannot obtain it (legally) unless you happen to have a serious account with Gates & Co.

Yes you can get a 90 TRIAL version online. And if you are patient and an infrequent tuner - it's an option.

But I'd look for a cracked version (no I am not telling folk where on an open forum). You either have a pirates soul or you do not, arghhhhhhhhhhh! - But I will say this, there is a source offered by Gen2 which runs and is ad/virus free.

What ever you decide :- Load the legal Winaero tweaking tool which allows you to turn of ALL Microsoft reporting (read legal spyware) as well as many other things which give you a TOOL (not a bloody social media platform) that is stable.

Stage 2 - will be to see if I can get TuneECU to run on Linux. FTDI has Linux drivers for the cables - and maybe I can get TuneECU to run in WINE. It's a brave new world.

It does run in WINE.

I ditched Windows 10 and put windows XP on last weekend. Bit nostalgic. Also a big Linux fan but just not fluent enough to make it my daily driver. I have a desktop pc with Ubuntu, trying to learn the ropes, so so many simple things are really hard until you know how, then really easy and logic mages sense.

Definitely gonna give the pirate soul an awakening, thanks for the tips.

I ditched Windows 10 and put windows XP on last weekend. Bit nostalgic. Also a big Linux fan but just not fluent enough to make it my daily driver. I have a desktop pc with Ubuntu, trying to learn the ropes, so so many simple things are really hard until you know how, then really easy and logic mages sense.

Definitely gonna give the pirate soul an awakening, thanks for the tips.
Go LinuxMint - based on Ubuntu but minimal learning curve. LibreOffice for all your office needs.

Try a Mac (no virus's) You won't go back!

Try a Mac (no virus's)
Simply NOT TRUE. It is true up to a point in that most virus were NOT aimed at Mac users. But this has changed a bit. And probably because M-Soft (though it hurts to admit it) have substantially improved their out-of-box security.

We have a consultant at work - he is so PRO-APPLE it stings. But he works in publishing where Apple is considered essential (partially peer pressure). Last week he was having to admit that he had taken all sorts of hits after travelling to China on business. Malware, Virus, all there. So off he trotted to see the Apple "geniuses". Nope I will not be sorting his issues. He was warned and ignored the advice.

Mac OS is closed source - so the inquisitive hunt for back doors. There are some - The FBI have thus admitted. Hacking Android and Linux is hardly worth doing - teh souce is there for all to see.

Most of what is still vulnerable is very very old source that has been considered almost Gold Standard. And generally more at a Firmware/microcode level.

I'm 100% with @idk - For day to day - LinuxMint. It is aimed at ex-windows users. And can be installed alongside Windows so you can swap hither and thither. Personally I prefer the MATE desktop to others. ON older machines use XFCE - less fancy, less consuming. NOTHING would tempt me to use XP now UNLESS the device is AIRWALLED. I.e has no network capability. Win7 offers too many advantages. I am a fervent Win10 antichrist - but LTSB gives you (some?) control again.

For the more adventurous - Proxmox (it's free) with multiple task specific virtual machines (Linux/Windows/Android and possibly even OSX). For the more paranoid TAILS. There are others.

Back