Not an R3 question but looking for input re PCV and AT

sleeves

Nitrous
Ride
05 R3 Std
My surrogate son has a GSXR600 track bike, hotted up with Yoshimura exhaust, cams and K&N. It also had a PCV fitted to it. The bike was lacking compared to others. On a thought (probably a bad one) I took the Auto tune off my R3 and fitted it up to his bike (there was a connection for it in the exhaust). Added the correct map off the Dynojet site for his mods and allowed trims on the AT.

While his lap times are faster, lowdown torque is improved also and the bike is now much smoother, its 8kmh slower on the two straights and bikes are catching him than with the original tune.

The original tune we didn't save (by my incompetence) as the description was std exhaust, std airbox. Maybe it wasn't.

My feeling is that the AT gives the best ratios across the range its working in and as the bike spends so little time in top gear and top revs (maximum friction resistance) its simply not mapping for this load to get the best out of it. I'm thinking that sometimes the AT may not be the best thing for a race bike.

We're now going to try another map but leave the AT turned off, or maybe only allow a very small trim, say 1 or 2%

Any comments or advice appreciated.

I have not seen a tune bike that auto tune could help except in making it a good safe running bike. It is especially good for people who do not have any tuners around. Better to be down a few pony's then to roast a piston :)

I have autoune on mine only for the optional LED display for real time read outs, the shop that built my motor strongly recommended I not accept any trims from autotune if I wanted to retian best horsepower.

I have not seen a tune bike that auto tune could help except in making it a good safe running bike. It is especially good for people who do not have any tuners around. Better to be down a few pony's then to roast a piston :)

Yes it made a world of difference on my R3 when fitted better in all ways, thinking its just losing its peak as its not running up there very much in reality. Probably 8% of the circuit is flat out in top. He ended up being much faster round the track but slower top speed. To my mind this is a win

I have autoune on mine only for the optional LED display for real time read outs, the shop that built my motor strongly recommended I not accept any trims from autotune if I wanted to retian best horsepower.

Thanks. Is this on your R3 or a track bike also?

I found the difference (without putting the bike on a dyno) between the tune ECU and the PVC wit AT (with Hanso's map and assistance) made a massive difference to the R3 but I'm thinking not such a good idea when tuning for peak horsepower now?

My R3, but it was dyno tuned for max horsepower, after extensive modification, may be different on a stock bike.

I have AT on one of my Rockets and it is currently turned off for similar reason as Tripps. Had the bike Dyno'd and it was running great then switched on the AT and things went to $hit pretty quick. Reloaded the Dyno tune and turned it off...all good now.

Back