Not a pretty sight in the morning so had to cage the R3

ozrider

2008 Standard
Ride
2008 Standard
Had an overnighter with Mrs Ozrider last night, direct ride was 170 Ks from home and looking forward to a leisurely 250K ride home through the hills to avoid the long weekend traffic, BUT.. woke up to seeing all the air at the top of the tyre.....
Close inspection it had a sharp stone in it and had cut the cord right in the centre, my repair kit I have carried for donkeys years was about as useful as tits on a bull
So went two up on Helens bike home. got a trailer and another return trip,so much for avoiding the long weekend traffic.
Before I loaded it on the trailer, just for sh-its & giggles I thought I would try and make it easier to push so emptied my 3 Co2 canisters into it to see how far it would inflate, I can tell you its not much !!!!
Looks like I will be trying to find a small compressor and a plug kit with a cord about the thickness of the small finger :rolleyes:

tyre1.JPG Caged R3.JPG

Man - That sux.... Don't ya hate it when that happens... Hasn't happened to me yet... but sure would be frustrating.
Glad you got Helen and R3 home safe.

Had an overnighter with Mrs Ozrider last night, direct ride was 170 Ks from home and looking forward to a leisurely 250K ride home through the hills to avoid the long weekend traffic, BUT.. woke up to seeing all the air at the top of the tyre.....
Close inspection it had a sharp stone in it and had cut the cord right in the centre, my repair kit I have carried for donkeys years was about as useful as tits on a bull
So went two up on Helens bike home. got a trailer and another return trip,so much for avoiding the long weekend traffic.
Before I loaded it on the trailer, just for sh-its & giggles I thought I would try and make it easier to push so emptied my 3 Co2 canisters into it to see how far it would inflate, I can tell you its not much !!!!
Looks like I will be trying to find a small compressor and a plug kit with a cord about the thickness of the small finger :rolleyes:

Been there not much friggin fun that's for sure . Glad you got it soughted pretty promptly .i can assure its a lot worse when your on top of the beast in the middle of the night out the back of whoop whoop travelling at least 100kph when the rear tyre decides to expell it's air ,riding alone .thank god for mobile phones:eek:

tyre1.JPG Caged R3.JPG

Jeez Peter, middle of nowhere and night time... not good
I got off pretty lightly then.......... back in the day I had a rear blow out with 2 up, managed to stay upright but it had my attention

Just out of curiosity, was it a Metzler?

I assume the stone worked into the depths of a tread?

I think Bridgestones' treads are prone to that but can happen to any tire, thanks to Mr. Murphy.
;)

Just out of curiosity, was it a Metzler?

I assume the stone worked into the depths of a tread?

I think Bridgestones' treads are prone to that but can happen to any tire, thanks to Mr. Murphy.
;)

Yes a Metzler...... it must have happened when I pulled up and parked for the night as the head of the stone wasn't crunched up like it had been there for awhile, straight through the centre tread & all.

Thats my worst nightmare when it comes to riding long distances. I've been cross coutry 4 time and have had two flats both in the middle of no-mans land. I had to stay the weekend in a hotel in SD till Monday moring when the dealers open. The second time roadside assistance picked me up at 9:00 in the AM and i was back on the road at 5:00 PM -$500+. It always plays out in the back of my mind. One thing about owning a Harley in the USA there's a dealer around every corner. Everytime i go long distance with the Rocket i always scope out Triumph dealers on my route and try to stay within rescue distance of them. The closest dealer to me that knows what their doing is almost 90 miles away:thumbsdown:.

Last edited:
Bugger .. you didn't even swear though did you .. cool, calm and collected I bet. Pain in the ass none the less mate. Need like a 5 gallon keg full of Co2 for the back tyre. I carry 8 of those pissy little canisters when on the road but ..:cool:

Thats my worst nightmeer when it comes to riding long distances. I've been cross coutry 4 time and have had two flats both in the middle of no-mans land. I had to stay the weekend in a hotel in SD till Monday moring when the dealers open. The second time roadside assistance picked me up at 9:00 in the AM and i was back on the road at 5:00 PM -$500+. It always plays out in the back of my mind. One thing about owning a Harley in the USA there's a dealer around every corner. Everytime i go long distance with the Rocket i always scope out Triumph dealers on my route and try to stay within rescue distance of them. The closest dealer to me that knows what their doing is almost 90 miles away:thumbsdown:.
I know how ya feel ,I had to go home ,work the next few day then fly back ,all up with tow vehicle and cost of new tyre over$1200

Back