Noisy or not?!!!

Bruce

Crazy Ol' B***ard!
Ride
R3T 2014
Hi all,

Got myself my new R3T, please see attached pictures. She's a 2014 with 7,000 miles and custom paint. I can hear some noise when it's ticking over (idling/running). When I pull the clutch in the noise stops but starts again when I release it. It seems like there's a noise when I'm riding too, kind of metallic, though when I stop and remove my helmet it doesn't seem as apparent. Can anybody please tell me if this is normal engine noise or not? I've just put it through its MOT check and it sailed through without any advisories.

Also, it's my first bike, (I know, I'm a crazy old bastard!!), and I'm finding it a bit clumsy to get through sharp corners. I've literally just passed my test on an MT07, Yamaha, and that was a lot easier. Any tips to make this easier?

And another thing, it seems to get freaking hot! We've just had a spell of unusually hot weather in the UK, and wearing all my protection I was cooking sat on the Rocket. Is this also the norm?

Many thanks in advance for any and all replies, cheers :)

Attachments

• 20170405_184604.jpg
    20170405_184604.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 1
Nice ride. The noise you hear with the clutch is probably the lifter piece. This is kind of good which means they don't have the cable free play to tight. Keep a eye on it as it sbould be 2 to 3mm at the hand grip. Check all exhaust heat sbield and radiator shield bolts especially on the bottom of the radiator. If any work loose it will drive you crazy until you find it. Pay attention to the torque specs. If one refuses to stay tight a dap of medium strenght thread locker will fix it. As for balance you just need some more saddle time and you'll be flicking her about.

Be easy with it and you will get used to it. It's a big engine and there are quite a few mechanical noises it makes that are normal. AS long as it pulls well, and goes through the gears...pay attention to what noises it makes. When and if something goes wrong, it will do different noises....that's when you know to ask what's going on! And you are in the right place to find out. Getting back to getting used to it. It's a way different beast from an MT07, and since you are all together new, I cannot stress enough that you slow down entering turns, this thing has enough power to haul you around at speeds you can't possibly manage just yet, but it can be a docile bike when you need it to be....just roll off the thottle. Choose your line through the curve and use a speed that keeps you on it, be ready to add power about halfway through (power, not necessarily speed. In turns use the rear brake only, unless you will make a complete stop.

Nice ride. The noise you hear with the clutch is probably the lifter piece. This is kind of good which means they don't have the cable free play to tight. Keep a eye on it as it sbould be 2 to 3mm at the hand grip. Check all exhaust heat sbield and radiator shield bolts especially on the bottom of the radiator. If any work loose it will drive you crazy until you find it. Pay attention to the torque specs. If one refuses to stay tight a dap of medium strenght thread locker will fix it. As for balance you just need some more saddle time and you'll be flicking her about.
Thanks for the prompt response mate. Kind of fun burning off the cages when I leave the roundabout /junction at walking pace then leave them as rapidly decreasing specks!! Trouble is they keep catching me up at the next sharp bend, oh no!!!

Be easy with it and you will get used to it. It's a big engine and there are quite a few mechanical noises it makes that are normal. AS long as it pulls well, and goes through the gears...pay attention to what noises it makes. When and if something goes wrong, it will do different noises....that's when you know to ask what's going on! And you are in the right place to find out. Getting back to getting used to it. It's a way different beast from an MT07, and since you are all together new, I cannot stress enough that you slow down entering turns, this thing has enough power to haul you around at speeds you can't possibly manage just yet, but it can be a docile bike when you need it to be....just roll off the thottle. Choose your line through the curve and use a speed that keeps you on it, be ready to add power about halfway through (power, not necessarily speed. In turns use the rear brake only, unless you will make a complete stop.
Tanks man!! I have to say, apart from the noises it doesn't feel like there's anything wrong with it, and as for pulling....like a frigging train mate!!

Also, it's my first bike, (I know, I'm a crazy old bastard!!), and I'm finding it a bit clumsy to get through sharp corners. I've literally just passed my test on an MT07, Yamaha, and that was a lot easier. Any tips to make this easier?
Buy the Ride Like A Pro DVD and practice it step by step, religiously. You don't want to be one of those riders who gets comfortable handling normal street riding, but is an awkward mess if you ever have to do a U-Turn or any other slow maneuvering.

Ride Like A Pro

They have digital downloads now too, which is probably a lot more affordable than getting a DVD over there.

Welcome and enjoy your new ride. Stay safe! I sure hope you're outfitted in full safety gear. I wish everyone were, but a hundred times over since it's your first bike.

Buy the Ride Like A Pro DVD and practice it step by step, religiously. You don't want to be one of those riders who gets comfortable handling normal street riding, but is an awkward mess if you ever have to do a U-Turn or any other slow maneuvering.

Ride Like A Pro

They have digital downloads now too, which is probably a lot more affordable than getting a DVD over there.

Welcome and enjoy your new ride. Stay safe! I sure hope you're outfitted in full safety gear. I wish everyone were, but a hundred times over since it's your first bike.
I've seen people riding in this weather wearing shorts, vests, t-shirts, trainers, and I think they're crazy. The road can make a mess of you, I know this. Officially it's my first bike, but I used to ride around illegally years ago, and I've been driving for 37 years or so, so road sense I've plenty. No problems on the straight with the Rocket either, just looking forward to the time I don't have to take every sharp corner like "Gram'maw"!!

the easiest way I have taught people to ride thru curves and corners is this, start on a straight bit of road at say 30 mile/p/h now give yourself plenty of room left and right, while going in a straight line just apply a slight pressure forward on your left hand and you will find the bike will want to go to the left, this is called countersteering, try it with both sides, once you understand it, it becomes easier to corner as the next exercise you should try again at a enough speed so you have some momentum on a straight bit of road and sitting in your normal position lean your left shoulder as if you were leaning into a corner and the bike will start to go to the left, try it both sides after you get the idea go to some moderate corners without to much speed practice leaning the leading shoulder into to the corner as you learn the shoulder forward you are applying pressure to that side and the bike will start to turn in to the corner then just practice practice and practice. Also learn to postion your self on the road to take a smooth arc thru the curve
I tis also good to do a Rider safety training course if there is one available I know here in Aus Honda Australia run them by what they call H.A.R.T it stands for Honda.Advanced.Rider.Team.
check with your local honda dealer they might run one there too

As far as the heat is concerned the Rocket does put out a bit but that can partially solved by changing the map/tune to richen it up a bit but I suggest you get used to riding it safely before we worry about changing the tune

Back