Noise coming from gearbox

UK DAYTONA

.040 Over
Ride
Triumph 955i Daytona, Triumph Rocket 3
Recently in the past 2 days I am getting a screeching noise which sounds like it's coming from the gearbox. As I pull away from a standstill it seems to happen. It's pretty loud. I have continued to ride as it doesn't seem to do it once I'm moving?

Any help would be great as I don't want to do any damage.

do you think its from the rear of the gear box on the left side? Can you jack her up put her in neutral and rotate the rear wheel whilst listening to the area near the out put shaft?

Last edited:
do you think its fromt he rear of the gear box on the left side? Can you jack her up put her in neutral and rotate the rear wheel whilst listening to the area near the out put shaft?
I will give it a try on Sunday and I will let you know. Is that bad? Sure hope not.

I will give it a try on Sunday and I will let you know. Is that bad? Sure hope not.
Isn't your bike a 05? When you lift her up take a flat screw driver and pry the rear bake pad out so the pads are loose on the disc (more free moving and less drag)

Last edited:
hope it is not another output shaft bearing going south!!

hope it is not another output shaft bearing going south!!
SHHHHHHH lets not jinx him :) Once he has it up in the air and gets a better idea if possible where the sound is coming from we can go from there. If it is the out put drive you will be able to help him now since your experienced with it now :)

Ok guys, what am I supposed to be listening for? I jacked her and moved the rear pads away from the disk. I don't really here anything? I can here the drive shaft turning and that's about it. Any ideas?

Ok so I was wanting to to listen to the rear output area on the back left of the motor. This is because Patrick the poster AKA Alberta duke took his 06 out and heard a noise, squeak out of his. I told him to jack it up and pull the sump pan and look in the rear of the sump pan where the screen was and this is what he found laying in the sump screen.

rear out put cage.JPG

This is what he found, its the cage to the roller bearing on the rear output bearing on the torsional damper shaft.

the early years are susceptible to loosing the bearings. the front one because a lot of them were installed backwards reducing the amount of oil to them tremendously. and well the rear one has the same problem even if it was installed correctly. In some cases you can take the sump down and re-use the gasket. here have a read on this thread it will help you understand.
Keep in mine Patrick has never done this before and you will see his accomplishment as you read thru the thread.
I will be back I have to pay attention to the wifey its Sunday you know so give me a half hour :)

http://www.r3owners.net/threads/transmission-noise.19841/

Back