No Spark No Fire

tdragger

Living Legend
At my wits end on this one. 2006 Rocket Standard. ~74,000 miles. Won't start. No detectable spark.

For most of this year the bike has been running strong. No issues.

Changed spark plugs in late July. Started to detect a miss while rolling down the highway. It became harder and harder to start during the fall.

Went to the Maggie Valley run in October and had a lot of problems starting on the cold mornings. Had to resort to a blast of starter fluid to get home.

Now the bike will not start under any conditions.

Checked and cleaned the crankshaft position sensor.

Air = pulled the filters. Open throttle bodies. Air OK.
Fuel = drained the tank and put in fresh gas. Get a gas smell when turning over.
Spark = Changed the plugs again. Old plugs covered in black soot. Cleaned and crimped the coil leads. Tried to check for spark against the head but didn't see any sign of a spark.
Tune = loaded the 20226 TORS tune with no effect.

Starter turns the bike over like a mad man so that isn't the issue.

What do I do now?

If it were a car I would suggest checking/cleaning/replacing the MAF sensor. I think the closest thing to that on our Rockets would be the air temp sensor at the air intake plenum. Just my best guess at this time.

Sorry to hear this James, are you getting gas ? remove a plug turn over a few times then stick a flame down the plug hole see if it ignites the gas, would be unusual for three coils to go out at the same time, is your TPS okay
My 2011 Rocket had a corrupt tune but i see you have reloaded your tune. Good Luck my friend.

Is your engine check light on? Have you tried NEW plugs? Is your headlamp bulb/fuse blown? Bike will not start without headlight burning.

Have you checked fuse 6 for juice on both sides of it. I remember Ian having problems once with the fuse terminal being loose fitting and had to add solder to the fuse blades. Since fuse 6 feeds the coils I would take a close look at it.

Mmmmmm sounds familiar. I went thru a similar issue while on a long distance trip. In the morning it got harder and harder to start but once going seemed ok. Then I simply couldn't get her going without flattening the battery.
Checked everything. I was convinced it was a fuel issue as if I poured fuel into the bodies it would fire. Cracked fuel line banjo bolt under tank and turned key. Fuel everywhere so I must have fuel ?
Yes I had fuel but did I have pressure ? No pressure no injector pulse. It dawned that I had not heard the regulator go into bypass in the tank. Pulled fuel rail, stuck in bucket of fuel and powered up. Bingo, O ring joining regulator to rail failed thus fuel pissed out and no fuel pressure. Flow yes but absolute pressure no.
Prior to this I pretty much dismantled the bike searching for an issue, even had the top off for valve clearances and had just about given up when the light came on. 20 cent part...... Good luck

Mmmmmm sounds familiar. I went thru a similar issue while on a long distance trip. In the morning it got harder and harder to start but once going seemed ok. Then I simply couldn't get her going without flattening the battery.
Checked everything. I was convinced it was a fuel issue as if I poured fuel into the bodies it would fire. Cracked fuel line banjo bolt under tank and turned key. Fuel everywhere so I must have fuel ?
Yes I had fuel but did I have pressure ? No pressure no injector pulse. It dawned that I had not heard the regulator go into bypass in the tank. Pulled fuel rail, stuck in bucket of fuel and powered up. Bingo, O ring joining regulator to rail failed thus fuel pissed out and no fuel pressure. Flow yes but absolute pressure no.
Prior to this I pretty much dismantled the bike searching for an issue, even had the top off for valve clearances and had just about given up when the light came on. 20 cent part...... Good luck
What's the 29 cent part number

Back