No oil pressure ???

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
OK, got the 2013/15 (can't remember) engine in my 05 Rocket. Got her fired up, but the oil light stays on ???? Also, after putting in 5 qts of oil, the oil tank is empty ??? I can stick my finger into the oil tank, and nothing ???? WTF ???? HELP !!! Yes, the sensor is connected. Wondering if I need to hook up tune ecu and clear the codes ???

A line.not connected to the oil pump? Tank definitely shouldn't be empty

OK, update. Dumped another quart of oil in the tank. Tank now a half level. With engine running, I can see oil circulating in the tank, so the sump pump is working. Don't have the radiator on yet, so only ran a minute or two, but oil in tank did get warm. So circulating ??? As Mr Warp said, migh need oil galley to be primed? After I install the radiator and coolant, I'll loosen up the oil pressure sensor, and see if I have any pressure there. Might be my imagination, but I thought last evening, the oil light was RED, now it appears orange? Also I grounded out the lead on the sensor, and the idiot light stays on. Not sure how that works. Bad sensor? If run without the sensor connected, maybe it threw a code, that has to be cleared ??? Tune ECU next. o_O

if it was low on oil it would suck air and light would be on.
if u ground sensor light would come on.
i am thinking it will be ok
if not remove oil sending wire if light still on u have a shorted (to ground) wire.

Thanks for the info Guy's. Taking a break at the moment, but will get back on it later today. So, the oil pressure sensor is a switch that "opens" when there is pressure, and is closed, (grounded out) when no pressure? right? :cool:

Thanks for the info Guy's. Taking a break at the moment, but will get back on it later today. So, the oil pressure sensor is a switch that "opens" when there is pressure, and is closed, (grounded out) when no pressure? right? :cool:

i am going on most cars have never tested my rocket.
u r correct grounded until a little pressure breaks the ground.
if it turns out the light in 2 seconds u r ok
if not u might do what warp said
edit
u might disconnect the wire and if it is still grounded (light on) then your problem is somewhere else.

Could it be the motor sat so long the main bearing gallyway has lost its prime. You should pull the filter and fill it, pour oil down the block fitting untill she full, then spin the filter back on and fire her up real quick. You might have to do it and pug a plugout of each cylinder and spin her over until you get it primed with oil. Loosen the sensor in the back and watch for pressure.

OK, disconnected the wire to the oil sensor, and the idiot light is still on. Wondering if it needs to be cleared with Tune Ecu ? Also discovered I don't have the temp sensor plugged in. Too many wires, and not enough brain material. I'll get er sooner or later. Going off now, for a steak dinner. Ha! 🥴

Back