No more wobble

Tbone

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Roadster 2008 Not So Standard 2006 Carpenter
I have had the death wobble on my Roadster for quite a while and it started with a fairly new Avon Cobra. I tried steering head bearings and all seemed fine, I even took it to the stealership and those idiots told me that it was my aftermarket saddlebags(Viking). So I thought I would just try to put up with it until I wore out my front tire. Well with the wobble I was not able to ride as aggressively as I normally do and the tire lasted way longer than normal. I finally went ahead and got a Mich CommanderII and all is good again. I forgot what it was like to take hands off bars at any speed. Now some new suspension.

That's unusual for a Cobras , I can only suspect tire pressures and / or wheel alignment . As for suspension , I recently bought a set of Hagon nitros . I had a set of progressive 440s before which were woefully undersprung . I prefer the hagons in every shape and form and would controversially recommend the Hagons over them hands down . For the money , imho they are the best . They look great too !

Interestingly this is consistent with the experience @fastfun mentioned regarding his swap from Avon to Metz recently and high speed stability.

Curious if this is simply a case of front cupped badly for whatever reason.

I had the exact same symptom with my stock Metzler, horrid wobbles and vibrations at very low mileage with a lot of tread left. It was badly cupped. Swapping to an Avon fixed it 100%, if I had cruise I could ride cross country without hands on bars, rock stable at anything under 140 or so, gets a little finicky up stairs though for different reasons.

I honestly don't think this is as simple as "Brand X causes wobbles".

I have had the death wobble on my Roadster for quite a while and it started with a fairly new Avon Cobra. I tried steering head bearings and all seemed fine, I even took it to the stealership and those idiots told me that it was my aftermarket saddlebags(Viking). So I thought I would just try to put up with it until I wore out my front tire. Well with the wobble I was not able to ride as aggressively as I normally do and the tire lasted way longer than normal. I finally went ahead and got a Mich CommanderII and all is good again. I forgot what it was like to take hands off bars at any speed. Now some new suspension.

"I knew you would!" uttered in my best My Pillow Guy impression.

BTW - I have a brand new, still in the wrapping Commander II in 140/75R17 if anyone near is interested . . .

Interestingly this is consistent with the experience @fastfun mentioned regarding his swap from Avon to Metz recently and high speed stability.

I had the exact same symptom with my stock Metzler, horrid wobbles and vibrations at very low mileage with a lot of tread left. It was badly cupped. Swapping to an Avon fixed it 100%, if I had cruise I could ride cross country without hands on bars, rock stable at anything under 140 or so, gets a little finicky up stairs though for different reasons.

I thought a new Avon fixed mine, but it eventually cupped too and it returned, so I think it may be the cupping.

imho the rocket does not like white walls:laugh::laugh::roll::roll::roll::roll:

That's unusual for a Cobras , I can only suspect tire pressures and / or wheel alignment . As for suspension , I recently bought a set of Hagon nitros . I had a set of progressive 440s before which were woefully undersprung . I prefer the hagons in every shape and form and would controversially recommend the Hagons over them hands down . For the money , imho they are the best . They look great too !
Which part number did you use?
Rick

I cupped the Metz both sides in 7700kms - cupped the Cobra in 6300kms, but curiously asymmetrically. And interestingly I have cupped the current front (which is a Bridgestone 150/70 rear) but symmetrically. But after a lot more kms. But honestly I have no wobbles - well nothing that having a barn door strapped to the handlebars does not explain.

One thing - Once cupping starts - it seems to get worse very fast.

The asymmetry thing is what is interesting. My journeys until last month were predictable. Pretty much the same runs every week.

Which part number did you use?
Rick
Part number ?
Cupping on front motorcycle tyres is caused by 3 things , tyre pressure too low , overloading and heavy braking . If any or all of those things are not addressed , any stickyish tyre you use will cup . It's not hard to gauge how a tyre is wearing and if showing abnormal or uneaven wear , adjust the tyre pressures accordingly and maybe think about stiffening your front forks a bit !

Back