Vagabond

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 Touring
Hey guys, what would you do with this? I filled up the gas on my 2010 Touring. Turned the key on. 22540 miles on the bike. Dashboard dead, no lights, battery good, load horn, fuses good, changed out starter relay,(did not help).I raised the tank, tank full, some fuel leaked out. Picked up wiring harness. Rechecked, Everything Ok. I wish it would have stayed broke so I new what to fix.i put it back together and it was too late to go on the ride. What do I look for next. Any ideas are appreciated.

I'd go thru the wiring harness and unplug all connectors put some dielectric grease in them and put back together, I had an issue awhile back where my tacho and all things in it stopped working it even threw up an error. I checked all relevant connectors and all was good there were no signs of burnt or bad connection, So then after removing the tacho cover and checking the electrical connector I found it was bone dry, I put some Dielectric grease it worked prefectly so I checked Speedo connector it too was dry.
What I am saying is due to modern bike electrical connectors having small contact points in connectors it is easy to build resistance and lose continuity, this can happen anywhere on bikes electrical system

Yes, it did get back everything after I moved the wiring harness. I guess I need to go through everything before the season really starts. I will try the grease thaks!

Hanso is right, dielectric grease (silicone grease) on all connections helps prevent corrosion and moisture.

I had the same problem the second day I owned the bike.
It was the plug in the wiring harness for the ignition,
under the tank and it was the white wire.

If you're lucky, BigKel's right. Easy fix with a bridge of that one wire if separating, cleaning, greasing and reconnecting doesn't do it. If not, as idk says, probably your ignition switch.

I would think ignition switch too (sadly). Sounds exactly like the problem I had on my 2011 Touring with 16k miles on the clock.

Good luck

I had similar problem a few months ago, turned out to be corrosion of the points in the starter button. easy fix.

Back