No 'good will' repair for 2008 R3

Spawn

.040 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket 3 Classic
So I got my R3 back in January second hand from another dealer. After taking it to Triumph for a going over it was discovered that I had oil "weeping" from the head gasket. After consulting with some Triumph service techs and some teeth gnashing it was suggested that I submit a request for a "Goodwill Repair". Well the word came back today and its official: Triumph will not perform a Goodwill repair on my 2008 R3. Its just too far out of warranty. Not surprising considering the bike is 10 years old. I mean you can't keep supporting bikes indefinitely. It is however disappointing. I'm going to have a hard time singing the praises of Triumph to the Harley fanatics I ride with when I have oil running down my crankcase. Maybe its blessing in disguise. Having no warranty or support from the manufacturer frees me up to do whatever. Carpenter Racing perhaps...?

unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-4.jpg

Out of warranty? Hmmmm. Really?
Oh just ride it. Don't worry about it until it starts leaving a mark. Then park elsewhere.
The 2007 I recently bought has some "seepage". Wouldn't hurt to throw a gasket on every 10 or 11 years. First I'm going to see if I can tighten them. Maybe snug them up a bit

No kidding John. Harley owners are no strangers to oil leaks. And once a bike is out of the factory warranty, you don't have to be concerned about upgrades and performance mods.

With that said, I've not seen or read about many head gasket leaks. Looks like it's time for a Carpenter fix.

I'm curious - why wouldn't someone expect to replace a head gasket after ten years ? They are fairly straightforward to do one's self, although it is possible to get it wrong.

Several threads on here on how to do it correctly.

If it were my bike, I would be replacing that, and taking a good look at all the components uncovered during the process -- probably time to check the valves, just for the peace of mind if nothing else.

And order a RAMAir kit if you don't already have that installed, and save some of the work putting it back together.

Just two cents -- I also see the approach of 'ride it like you stole it' until you are convinced in your own mind more is needed.

When I bought my first Bonneville in 1968 and discovered it was leaking oil, I took it back to the dealer and he told me that it was normal and not to worry. He told me if it wasn't leaking, it meant the engine was out of oil...

Back