jake shaw

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Rocket Touring
Posting for a freind with a 15 Touring. Bike in a cold garage all winter. Dead battery when he went to start it. Charged battery (12.68) Bike started but no sweep of gauges, no fuel gauge or trip settings. We let bike go through numerous hot cycles (fan on) but no gauges. He is taking bike to Florida next week and would like to get it resolved. Could the gauges be tied in with the ABS light and need to be driven above 10mph to resume working. The roads are too snow/ice covered here to try that. thanks

Really cold weather will play havoc with these bikes. My guess is the connection for the gauge cluster needs to be looked at. Try unplugging and reconnecting. Warm weather might cure it also since some frost could build up inside the housing causing problems.

I had to pull my Roadster out of cold storage for it's trip to Florida in January. It was -32C and the bike wouldn't even turn over. The gauge cluster and fuel gauge were doing weird things at that temp. I covered the bike with a tarp and placed an electric space heater under it for several hours. Got it nice and toasty. Tried the bike and the gauges functioned perfectly with the bike starting up no problem. In Florida the electrics functioned fine apart from an issue with the bike wanting to stall while accelerating from a stop after a couple of weeks in the good weather. I purchased a TPS for that and will troubleshoot it this spring. It's back in deep freeze right now. :(

Good luck.

Take the battery connections off, clean and put back.

I left my bike for just a week in the cold, it started ok, but when I stopped for fuel it would not start again.
Pushed it home.

I tried all the fuses and nothing worked. Tightened the battery terminals, burst into life and has been ok since

Often after a time stood in the cold, I guess there must be some loosening as the cold strinks the metal contacts and alllows someform of build up in the contacts. My theory anyway :)

Last edited:
15 probably has original battery? If so get one, that dead and having to charge ain’t good, but I don’t know the deal on that battery, is it original?

Back