No Booster Plug for the R3

chilipeppernorm

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
For those who are unfamiliar the BoosterPlug is a small device that plugs into your AIS sensor in the intake system that tricks the bikes computer into fueling for colder air under throttle load adding more fuel for perceived denser air (check their website for the full engineering explanation). It doesn't involve mapping or programing and improves vastly the over lean conditions all modern bikes come with as well as much better throttle response and a little kick in the pants. I've owned two on two different bikes and they were flawless, foolproof and totally reliable. Easy to install too.
So I emailed Jens in Denmark and asked when he would come out with one for the R3. He promptly wrote back to say when they got their hands on the new 2020 R3 and tore it down that "it turned out that the location of the AIT sensor was so difficult to get to that it would be impossible for 99% of our customers to install a BoosterPlug on this bike."
For that reason they will not be making a BP for the Rocket 3, which is understandable. Too bad as it would have been my first non cosmetic modification. Thought those of you who are familiar with BP or planning on one for your new Rocket 3 might want to know.

Strange. The AIT sensor is (sensibly) mounted on the back of the air intake plenum.... the pretty "air box" with the "Rocket 3" badge, that runs alongside the engine, from which the three intake runners emerge upwards.

Even just changing the air filter in routine maintenance, those runners are (easily) removed, which leaves the plenum just sitting there with about eight small bolts holding it. Doesn't look like much of a problem to move it to get at the sensor?

Not that I've done it.....or intend to!

Interesting.

Strange. The AIT sensor is (sensibly) mounted on the back of the air intake plenum.... the pretty "air box" with the "Rocket 3" badge, that runs alongside the engine, from which the three intake runners emerge upwards.

Even just changing the air filter in routine maintenance, those runners are (easily) removed, which leaves the plenum just sitting there with about eight small bolts holding it. Doesn't look like much of a problem to move it to get at the sensor?

Not that I've done it.....or intend to!

Interesting.
Thanks for the additional input Ruzzle. I've no clue as to even the most basic diagrams or inner workings of my R3 as there doesn't seem to be a reasonably accessible Service Manual for the bike that I can find. Since you don't only have to mount or plug the BP sensor between the AIS and the computer input but also have to run the sensing probe from the BP sensor to a cool air spot away from engine heat to function properly the plumbing and route path was too problematic. I'm just guessing here. I'd like to think that Jens wouldn't casually dismiss a new bike and resultant customer base casually from his market. BP aside, it would sure be nice to have a shop reference for assembly/disassembly and routine maintenance.

It would seem simple to mount the extra sensor also in that airbox. Looks like plenty of room, and airflow and temperature requirements would be met.

But what would I know??

(Sent you a PM.....)

I tried to get Jens in Denmark to send me one anyway but they wouldn't do it, so I went with AF-AXID 02 manipulator which does about same thing maybe even better.
My post is on here somewhere

so u think that dumping more gas into the catalytic converters then it needs is a good idea?

I feel like I shouldn't wade into this.... but someone has to.

Plugs like this (and TRE plugs, and 'wire mods, etc) are about as close to snake oil as you can get without actually buying petroleum byproducts. Yes, tricking you AIT/MAT sensor into thinking it's colder than it really is can dump more fuel across the board, and also possibly run more timing advance in certain situations. Does you engine need more fuel across the board or more timing? Hell if I know, but measurement with an 02 sensor & a dyno/trap speed will tell you. The chances of it adding the optimal amount of fuel to any one point, let alone all points, with something like this is rather slim. I can tell you from a little bit of experience that there is very little power to be had by changing an AFR by itself, unless said AFR is in a range that would be causing noticeable problems (>14:1, <11.5:1). Without measuring data, you're just guessing. With measuring data you're halfway to the cost of doing it right....

I would personally never throw a sensor bypass/offset device on there and just run it. Spend the time an effort on a good controller and tune to see real results. That sensor is there to give the ECU the information to properly calculate air density in order to trim the right amount of fuel based on a RPM/TPS look-up table.. change the look up table for the given area in the ECU or with a piggyback if you want to do it right. .Just my opinion, of course. :)

The AFXIED sensor tweaker operates only in closed loop mode, which is what I'm after....looking for the low-throttle benefits. The booster plug (AIT) is a different gizmo.

And if cats can handle AFRs of 12.5 or richer in open loop, why should they have a problem with 13.6-13.8s???

I'm not familiar with this "AFXIED sensor tweaker" so I cannot speculate. I can say that any sensor modification device is another link in the chain of function.... or dysfunction when things go pear shaped.... know what I mean?

Cats really only care about lead and heavy carbon.... and being hot to do what they do. Excessive rich or lean conditions can cause high EGT's... which for the most part on this bike would just make you uncomfortable more than anything else (turbo/super/high compression guys: pay no attention to that man behind the curtain). I'm sure it has effect on their lifespan, but I'm equally sure that it's 99% negligible given the lifetime mileage of most motorcycles.

Back