newbie has another kinda seat question

pugpower

.020 Over
Hi all,

1st post from a newbie here but I'm gonna jump right in.Completely stoked having just bought an '05 Rocket that has 2,434 miles!!!
I can't believe anyone would let this machine sit like this but I'm getting ready to put some miles on this "new" bike. I ride 2 up better than 90% of the time. I'm looking at taking this bike right to the dealer and getting leather bags, oil change, new tune, etc. Wife sits on similar bike in the showroom and says her legs hit the leather bags when she sits on the bike. I've been reading many posts and haven't seen quite this problem. Wife's not a big girl but stock seat is a little narrow. Seems she needs 1" higher (came to this conclusion by having her sit on a small phone book). Worried about getting something too wide because then bags won't open. Short of duct taping the 1" phone book to the seat (yeah I saw that one coming) Is my only option sending seat away and getting it redone? Saw this ButtyBuddy thing but looks like it would look worse than taping the phonebook to the seat. Any help? :?

Thanks,

Sam

you could buy her a pad, or a small travel pillow, I actually took my seat to a local upholstery guy and asked him to make it an inch higher with more paddign etc... that was ok, she really liked the gel seat, the factory touring seat/classic is a nice upgrade as well, the corbins and others are much higher then stock also, keep searchign and you'll see pics

Pug, might I suggest that you watch this forum for a bit before doing anything. Some immediate comments:

Bags: There are some good options out there so don't jump into this one before exploring them for a bit. Bags are a bit pricey and you want to do it right the first time. I have an 07 Classic with the Triumph bags, which would not be my first choice if I had to buy them on the after market.

Seat: Complaints about the seat is one of the most common for the Rocket. What kind of seat do you presently have? Russel Day Long, Corbin and now Rick Mayer are some good options. I have the Classic Touring seat and it is universally recognized as an overly soft piece of crap. I presently use an Airhawk pad until I decide what to replace it with. You can get Classic seats on occasion through this forum or on e-bay. In my opinion, the only good thing about the stock classic seat is the pan. Of course, you have to try it for yourself first.

All stock

Thanks for the info. I will keep looking.

Both seats are stock '05 classic. Driver's seat seems comfy enough (this being said before my first 400 mile day). Bags I was looking at were the Triumph bags with the Rocket III chrome Brackets. I don't always just grab whatever is at the dealer, but the bags with those brackets looked good. Can really only go with a smaller bag because pipes are right below bags. Smaller bag O.K. and maybe that with an airhawk (or something similar) may be the answer. I have an awesome Mustang seat on my Intruder but I don't even see a link for triumph on the Mustang site.

Thanks,

Pug

Hey Pug, welcome to the forum. I have the factory 2-up seat with the adjustable backrest, which I'd never ride without. The seat itself is fairly comfortable, but on extremely long rides, well, it could use a bit more padding. My wife rides occasionally and she's complained about numbass. She's tried a hemorrhoid pillow with some success, but did much better with an Airhawk pad (thank you very much jefff1 8) ). Additionally, she'd like to sit up a bit higher as she gets uncomfortable 'cause she needs to stretch her leg/knee. There isn't much space for her to move around. I have the Triumph bags and they are not an issue. Like Gasket said, look around the site 'cause there's been lots of discussion about seats. Yeah, Mustang doesn't make one. :(

Ride safe. 8)

Re: All stock

pugpower said:
Thanks for the info. I will keep looking.

Both seats are stock '05 classic. Driver's seat seems comfy enough (this being said before my first 400 mile day). Bags I was looking at were the Triumph bags with the Rocket III chrome Brackets. I don't always just grab whatever is at the dealer, but the bags with those brackets looked good. Can really only go with a smaller bag because pipes are right below bags. Smaller bag O.K. and maybe that with an airhawk (or something similar) may be the answer. I have an awesome Mustang seat on my Intruder but I don't even see a link for triumph on the Mustang site.

Thanks,

Pug

I have a Mustang on my Electra Glide and love it. I called them and they don't make one for a Rocket and are not interested in doing so. The Triumph bags as spacious, of excellent quality and you can get liners for them on e-bay for about $50. They are just pricey. I've seen some "in the box" great deals though on this forum. I took the rails off of mine because I think they are funky and were damaging he bags. There are locking, quick detach synthetic bags leather available for the Rocket, which I would get before the stock leather bags. Of course, purchase price is a big consideration. Again, my only recommendation is to go slow and look at all the options.

Seat

I bought an '07 Classic in 06, got rid of the classic seat real quick. went to a corbin touring and it's been great for me and my wife. had to do a little reworking of the seat to get it to fit, but nothing major. it also raised the passenger up an inch or two.

Is the corbin O.K.

Thanks again all!!

My first thought was looking into the corbin, but I see some guys saying the Corbin wasn't good. I don't mind kickin the cash if it's gonna take care of her!(you know if Momma ain't happy ain't no one happy!) I'm definitely holding back on the bag thing now. I gotta look around some more. Dealer had some other bags that didn't look bad, were just trying to stay big as possible on the bags.

Hey Wolf.. PM me if your are in the area, I'll just look for the only bike that can keep up with me!! Seriously though if you come to the Carlisle car shows, I have a friend with a nearby business, I live 20 min from Carlisle.

Thanks for the link Bluemarlin, I will check it out tonight. She likes the Triumph bags (Gasket made me think about not doing the rails, thought maybe the underside support would be important, especially trying to bring home wine :wink: ) Maybe the extra height of the Corbin, with the triumph bags... It's not that money is no object, but when I was younger I've made the mistake of saving $50 and having something look like sh*t, so I just don't want my baby looking half assed!!

Thanks to all again,

Sam (aka Pug)

Sometime I'll get a pic of my 2 boys on here. I think you will agree that they are a little like a Rocket...Either you'll think they are really cute or you'll say..."What the hell happened to them!!"

RIDE SAFE

Back