Newbie Exhaust Question.......

John Ward

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 Classic 2008
Hi Guys n Gals.... Well I'm new to Rockets and have been reading up and going out and looking at my bike as I'm not sure what mods it has.. Its a 2008 Classic and I think I have some sort of cat bypass fitted but not sure if the exhausts are standard but with slash cut ends fitted. I cant seem to find anything stamped on them, and looking up the end there are some sort of baffle plates inside and they are not straight through pipes. I've attached a couple of pix of my 3 pipe set up, and have found a pic of the cat bypass thingy I have fitted.. any info would be great thanks!
58402_bcf7c67d24e9a2596519ac856d215dc5.jpg
IMG_1243.png

IMG_0745.JPG 3827.jpeg IMG_0726.JPG
2007 + same Cat delete pipe + TOR slip-ons + factory Tune replaced by HansO and Scott.

The collector you have is a good mod just by itself.

Wana make noise and go a little faster. That's a hobby my friend. Have fun.

IMG_0745.JPG 3827.jpeg IMG_0726.JPG
2007 + same Cat delete pipe + TOR slip-ons + factory Tune replaced by HansO and Scott.

The collector you have is a good mod just by itself.

Wana make noise and go a little faster. That's a hobby my friend. Have fun.

Hi

Thanks for the replies!... I'm not too bothered about the faster bit as this beastie is fast enough for me in standard form! I just wanted a nicer exhaust tone n a bit more noise :). I have been looking at these 2 pipe shorty exhausts set ups, which come with a new bypass pipe as well, but am a little unsure if these would be too noisy? Ive done the sports bike scene here in the uk, and speed is not now my number 1 priority..a nice handling bike I can cruise on and a nice but a little louder exhaust tone. Can you modify these standard pipes by removing the baffles? Or do you lose performance by messing with the standard pipes? I wouldn't want to make a backwards move in reliability just to chase a better exhaust note.

Can you modify these standard pipes by removing the baffles?
Not easily. If it were me I'd look for something aftermarket. There are some pipes from the same guy in the UK that does the shorties that are a bit longer and less loud.
TRIUMPH ROCKET 3 CUSTOM TWIN SILENCERS and CAT REPLACEMENT | eBay

Also those old pipes are getting harder to find in good condition. Mine are in a box and come out for the MoT but also because the bike will be hard to sell here without them.

Last edited:
Not easily. If it were me I'd look for something aftermarket. There are some pipes from the same guy in the UK that does the shorties that are a bit longer and less loud.

Also those old pipes are getting harder to find in good condition. Mine are in a box and come out for the MoT but also because the bike will be hard to sell here without them.

Hi

Yep those are the ones I have been looking at along with the shorter ones.. was also worried the shorter pipes may blow hot exhaust gasses all over the front of my saddle bags. Like yourself I always keep whatever I take off a bike in case I need it in the future... my standard pipes are in fantastic condition so they would be stored n not sold :)

Hi Guys n Gals.... Well I'm new to Rockets and have been reading up and going out and looking at my bike as I'm not sure what mods it has.. Its a 2008 Classic and I think I have some sort of cat bypass fitted but not sure if the exhausts are standard but with slash cut ends fitted. I cant seem to find anything stamped on them, and looking up the end there are some sort of baffle plates inside and they are not straight through pipes. I've attached a couple of pix of my 3 pipe set up, and have found a pic of the cat bypass thingy I have fitted.. any info would be great thanks!
58402_bcf7c67d24e9a2596519ac856d215dc5.jpg
IMG_1243.png
WELL you dont need all those pipes as the head pipe is a 3 to 1 so all you need is a good looking free flowing slipon muffler and youll make max HP and lose 40 lbs of useless ugly exhaust plumbing and youll save a lot of money and weight LOL

Plenty of stock pipes floating around in the states as most places do not have any MOT/emission standards , so people who change the exhaust just put them on a shelve to gather dust.

Plenty of stock pipes floating around in the states as most places do not have any MOT/emission standards , so people who change the exhaust just put them on a shelve to gather dust.
Here any thing mainstream will have an € approved and certified alternative able to pass an MoT. For example Triumph Street Triples. But rarer beast owners learn fast and keep original parts to hand. My mate with a workshop keeps a whole mass of original exhausts to get his clients bikes through the tests.

Back