Newbie Confused about Tuning

Babarocket3newbie

Rocket Newbie
Ride
2016 Rocket III Roadster
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the newbie question if its been asked before....But reading through the forum, I am still a little confused about the tuning/ Tune ECU/ Tuneboy, etc. I have a 2016 Roadster and have the DP Shorty outlaws, and a K &N main filter so far. I just ordered the "tune interface cable for Triumph motorcycles" from LoneLec. And I have the Ramair kit ready to install.

So my questions are...once I have the Ramair Kit installed...I have to do the 12 minute tune. Then....what?

1. Do I need a power commander? and get a Dyno from the dealer?
or just do the tune myself by
2. using the cable from LoneLec, download TuneECU software and upload a new map (Hopefully @HansO would help with a map for that :D)? Then once I upload the new map, is that it? Anything else that needs to be done?

Do I need a power commander regardless of what I chose to do? The dealer keeps telling me that I need a power commander once I change out the filters. What is the best course once i have the Ramair kit installed?

Thanks for the help in advance... you guys are the best!

Last edited:
I have a Power Commander (PCIII for the Rocket) lying around in the garage. I personally would not buy it again, since i felt it was much more efficient to tune the ECU directly.
And the people who can actually tune the Rocket's ECU on a dyno are more likely to really know what they're doing.
Warranty is a factor though.

A lot of folks use the power commanders on Harleys. Mainly because that is what the dealerships push. POWER VISION made by dyno jet is a much better product. I have never really liked piggy-back systems. Tune ECU looks like it will work out rather well but it would be great if they made a power vision for the Rocket. ;););););)

Back