Newbie … looking to buy first one

tnrocketman

Standard Bore
Hi everyone,

I have decided that an R3 is going to be my next bike! I am super excited and ha e Been doing some research and my price range in probably going to get me in the 2010 to 2014 range. Thinking a roadster vs a touring but not totally sure of the differences yet.Occasionally my wife will want to ride with me so 2 up is requirement. Other than thatpretty flexible...

If anyone has any tips/suggestions on what to look for, questions to ask, etc that would be appreciated.

looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Eldon

WELCOME! I'm confident either would serve you well. I'm a touring owner and it meets my needs of power and comfort rolled into one. The factory touring is de-tuned as compared to the Roadster but that's an easy fix with a new tune (using the free TuneECU... you need a cable and computer/android device) and free flowing pipes. With my wife in mind, the touring with it's backrest and passenger floor boards makes it rather comfortable for her. I also prefer the hard-side lockable panniers. A Roadster can easily be made into whatever you're looking for and made comfortable for your wife (depending on upgrades); so it comes down to personal preference and the bargain you can snag. I would recommend you look for ABS.

What have you had in the past?

Here's my girl; upgraded over time... with a few more chrome pieces just waiting for me to put them on...

DSC_0938.JPG-F.jpg

-MIG

Hello Eldon and welcome from Virginia. I ride the R3T so yes I am a little biased towards it over the other models. First off, all of them can be great touring bikes if setup for it. The R3T just comes that way from the factory. I have routinely done 10-12 hours rides in winter and summer, no worries on it if you are dressed for the temperature.
I don't race around but find when I do go spirited, the R3T seems to keep up with all but the most daring of them, and honestly, it would still keep up if I let it.
I have taken the bike two-up on several trips and had plenty of room for all our clothes for a week.
If you want to strip off the windscreen and back rest, the bike still looks cool and rides great.
Let us know what you get and we need pictures. We are a very visual lot here...

WELCOME! I'm confident either would serve you well. I'm a touring owner and it meets my needs of power and comfort rolled into one. The factory touring is de-tuned as compared to the Roadster but that's an easy fix with a new tune (using the free TuneECU... you need a cable and computer/android device) and free flowing pipes. With my wife in mind, the touring with it's backrest and passenger floor boards makes it rather comfortable for her. I also prefer the hard-side lockable panniers. A Roadster can easily be made into whatever you're looking for and made comfortable for your wife (depending on upgrades); so it comes down to personal preference and the bargain you can snag. I would recommend you look for ABS.

What have you had in the past?

Here's my girl; upgraded over time... with a few more chrome pieces just waiting for me to put them on...

DSC_0938.JPG-F.jpg

-MIG
Wow - very nice!!

I have primary ridden bigger sport bikes in the past. Had an FJ1200 back in the day after I got out of college and have rode nija's, etc. Haven't rode much the past few years, but a couple my of boys have now gotten me back interested in riding. At this point in my life I am not needing to be the fastest/quickest on the road, but do like the idea of having the power there if need. So the performance of the touring vs roadster is not a big difference maker to me. But also I probably will not be doing many of long road trips, so not sure if I need the panniers. See most of my riding local day trips with groups of friends, etc.

You mentioned looking for one with ABS - do you know what year that was added?

Are there any model years that historically have been more problematic than others?

Wow - very nice!!

I have primary ridden bigger sport bikes in the past. Had an FJ1200 back in the day after I got out of college and have rode nija's, etc. Haven't rode much the past few years, but a couple my of boys have now gotten me back interested in riding. At this point in my life I am not needing to be the fastest/quickest on the road, but do like the idea of having the power there if need. So the performance of the touring vs roadster is not a big difference maker to me. But also I probably will not be doing many of long road trips, so not sure if I need the panniers. See most of my riding local day trips with groups of friends, etc.

You mentioned looking for one with ABS - do you know what year that was added?

Are there any model years that historically have been more problematic than others?
Cool Cool on your previous bikes. I didn't get serious (and legal) until we were empty nest (present from my bride actually) so started out on a Triumph America and moved out from there. Panniers are also good for running to store... because why would you drive a cage when you own a Rocket??? ;) But leather bags (and there are some AWESOME leather saddle bags) can easily be put on a Roadster.

For ABS I "believe" it was an option in 2012. For my 2014 I'm pretty sure it was standard. This forum is filled with history and others much MUCH more knowledgeable than me will need to chime in; but I believe most issues were worked out after 2010.

-MIG

Welcome to the forum and concernig your question: Touring for two up regularly I would say, but that is only my opinion and many here put more miles on Roadsters or Regular Rockets with pillion than myself in total so why not try them both?

Back