New to the Rocket Family (Stalling Problems)

Diospaz

Standard Bore
Ride
2016 Rocket III Roadster
I just purchased a 2016 Rocket III Roadster.

I first want to say, I love the bike.

Have some issues. The bike is Stalling when I downshift to come to a stop. It is always when I'm coming to a stop. Sometimes a normal stop like a green turning to yellow. And sometimes more random like when a car in-front of me is turning and I have to come to a stop. But the engine is stalling and oil light comes on. Almost 10+ times in the 300 miles i've put on it, bike only has 310 miles.

I have read many forums and pages even on this site, but cannot come to any good conclusions at this time. I can take it to the dealer but I don't want to have this plague me. Has anyone actually had the issue be resolved and lived to tell about it?

Thanks

Dio

When you get your first service they're supposed to adjust the TPS and do a idle stepper reset, it should fix the issue.

You can cheat a bit and it might help. Start the bike but don't touch the throttle, let it idle till the fan comes on. Now let it idle 12 minutes, it's a forced learning function and may solve your issue until you get the first service.

Thanks Claviger,

I have done the 12 minute tune, twice. Can you go over the 12 minutes? Maybe I am not letting it run long enough as I turn it off exactly at 12 minutes. I am litterally hitting a timer when the fan comes on and turning off the key the first time, and used the kill switch the second time.

I also am going to take where I got it from asap and have them do as you suggested.

I also was at first putting in 93 octane and currently have a 50/50 87/93 mix as I try to remove all of the higher octane thinking this was causing issues. It may be in my head but I feel when I put the 87 in it ran better and idled stronger and more steady.

Thanks,

Dio

Don't run premium, the bike doesn't really like it....87 is best. On the 12 minute tune, you don't have to kill the bike right on 12 minutes. In fact give it a minute more...heck, ride it!

yes, use 87 fuel as others have mentioned too. never had stalling issues with mine, but it sounds like the TPS was not adjusted correctly when the bike was new. Very minor issue for a dealer to correct and if you don't want to wait until first service, call them and explain the situation. They should fix it under warranty.

Rocketjohn you rock! And thanks everyone I will not cut it off so quickly. And after the 12 minutes take it for a short ride. Also I'll try to get the rest of the 93 fuel out. I'll run her as low as I can.

Yes, they will likely fix it under warranty. It's just my luck (grumble). Also here is a picture of my baby.

Remember a 12 minute tune is from cold start up don't touch the throttle. the 12 minutes starts when the fan first comes on. Then the time starts. depending on the weather this can take up to 30 minutes. Its all about how long it takes to initially heat up the engine enough for the fan to run.

Remember a 12 minute tune is from cold start up don't touch the throttle. the 12 minutes starts when the fan first comes on. Then the time starts. depending on the weather this can take up to 30 minutes. Its all about how long it takes to initially heat up the engine enough for the fan to run.

Thanks warp9.9 for the information. I started the 12 minutes after I hear the fan. You are right it takes time for the fan to warm up. I am letting the bike sit all day today and I'll do a third 12 minute tune one more time after I drain all the gas and fill it with only 87.

Thanks everyone, and safe riding.

Dio

Thanks warp9.9 for the information. I started the 12 minutes after I hear the fan. You are right it takes time for the fan to warm up. I am letting the bike sit all day today and I'll do a third 12 minute tune one more time after I drain all the gas and fill it with only 87.

Thanks everyone, and safe riding.

Dio
I'm retired I just take her out and run the gas out of her the fun way :D

Get another tank in her see how she acts 12 minute tune tomorrow :) Since she is new she will be a little tight especially with the brake in oil in her. She will free up with full synthetic in her. Keep a eye on the clutch adjustment as most dealer do not leave enough free play in them.

Clutch adjustment Brovo.jpg

Welcome Diospaz, from Maine, I too have a 2016 Roadster, love her, no issues with idel, I've got nearly 1500 miles on, break in so it was noticeable didn't happen for my bike until after 900 miles. She was really stiff until then, now when I snap the throttle she leaps ahead. :D Engine braking on decel has loosened up nicely too.

Hoopla

Back