New to the forum: 2013 Touring in Nevada

Wild Bill

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket III Touring
These people who own the site said I have to introduce myself. Okay.

Hi All, this is Wild Bill. I don't know how or when that name was planted on me; it was unjust and slanderous. But it cruelly stuck somehow against my complaint. I've been riding since I was 15, my first bike being a $35.00 ring-ding Yamaha YL100 twin, the smoky 2-cycle kind where I needed a handful of plugs in my pocket to make it home - clean plugs in my left pocket, fouled plugs in my right, oily pocket, permanent grease under my fingernails, and a bug-spattered, sadistic grin on my face. That was 48 years ago, and most of that hasn't changed, at least inside. I'm still that kid having the time of his life - only bigger and more expensive, which I found out does not necessarily mean a greater happiness quotient.

I rarely ever sell anything; I buy what I like and hang on to it. I'm a maintenance freak - this has endowed me with a small collection of bikes from 1967 to present - all in perfect condition - that I ride almost every day, thanks to the excellent motorcycling weather here in Nevada 364 1/2 days per year. I'm originally from northern New England and never going back - rotten weather except between July 4th and the 18th, and September 6th. Yeah, you poor snowbound guys and gals, I feel your pain. Har!

Yesterday, I was performing minor maintenance on my 2013 Rocket Touring, flushing and refilling the antifreeze. When I was finished, I started my bike up and let her idle to operating temperature to make sure everything was functioning well and I had no air pockets to bleed off. Everything went well, and I was about ready to shut her down when I noticed the headlight seemed to have steam on the lens. Nothing unusual after a flush and fill, so I took a towel and wiped it off; only, it did not wipe off. The lens was MELTING!! In all my life I have never seen anything like this! I shut the bike down, but too late. The lens was toast. A new one goes for $220.00 from Bike Bandit - pretty stiff for a piece of clear plastic, not even fluted. Even more compelling, why would it do that, and will it happen again? BTW, the light was on low beam, and cannot be turned off when the bike is running (another bureaucratic attempt to save the unsaveable). It was all of 60 degrees F ambient temperature, and there was no heat source near the light except the light itself. I bought this bike almost unused in 2014 and have had no troubles with it whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Minden Nevada. Are you down in Lost Wages? We got snow on the ground up here today. The rest of the world should chime in shortly. Great intro.

Do you have a melted head light lens? It's possible others haven't recognized this as your intro because of the title.

WELCOME to the best MC forum in the lane and WELCOME to America!
Might wanna place your location under your avatar so everybody can better respond to you.
Curious, was your headlight OEM?

I just saw the addition to the original post. Some guys have melted their headlight lenses by installing hotter bulbs or covering the light while the bike is sitting stii while running. Many of us have upgraded to LED headlamps which can go from expensive Daymaker or Trucklight lamps down to Chinese knock offs which is what I have. If you have a touring model you can have the ones off my bike for the cost of shipping.

Welcome from Minden Nevada. Are you down in Lost Wages? We got snow on the ground up here today. The rest of the world should chime in shortly. Great intro.
Hi Big Norm, good to meet you. Yeah, in LV, but I don't gamble. Did it once before I realized I'm not meant to lose my hard-earned bucks to a one-armed bandit. I would have felt better, at least, if it had a gun; at least, that would have been honest. We have the usual snow in the mountains, but haven't had any here in the valley. Nice riding weather, cool but not cold, warm but not hot. Say hi to all the patriots up there.

Do you have a melted head light lens? It's possible others haven't recognized this as your intro because of the title.
I messed up the site a bit, I know. Sorry. First time here so I had to figure out which buttons to push. Probably more to come, too.

Yup. Melted like the snow up north might in August. Let me see if I can send a photo. I was right, I can't.

i have heard of one other that had bike covered and melted the lens on the touring.
i have the classic model and the lens r junk low beams hit the ground 20 feet from the front tire and hi beams go into the oncoming traffic. i have not heard about the touring. i changed one light and know i can see at night.

edit
welcome from arizona

I just saw the addition to the original post. Some guys have melted their headlight lenses by installing hotter bulbs or covering the light while the bike is sitting stii while running. Many of us have upgraded to LED headlamps which can go from expensive Daymaker or Trucklight lamps down to Chinese knock offs which is what I have. If you have a touring model you can have the ones off my bike for the cost of shipping.

Big Norm,
I think you may have something there. Being a true shade tree mechanic, and since it was a beautiful day out, I had my bike under a tree in my drive while I worked on it. It is spring here, and the tree was throwing a little sap, and sap on my bike really irritates me, so I tossed a sheet over it - just a light sheet, not a blanket or bike cover. That makes sense, but it astonishes me that that would melt the lens. I've run that light for four years without an issue. It was cool out, and I've left it running at over 100 degrees (with no cover) without any problems. Wow...I hope the rest of the bike is engineered a little better than that. There is no intelligent reason I can think of to put plastic lenses on a light, except to bump up the profits or resist breakage. But then again, good tempered glass is not that expensive, either, and breaking one is very rare.

I've heard about LEDs and have a very little experience with them. With what I know, I'm impressed. I have some auxiliary LEDs on my truck and I like them a lot - awesome light, like the sun just came up, and they draw very minimal amperage. Negative is that they can easily blind oncoming traffic. I'm not particularly impressed with the Triumph lights, but I don't run very much at night and they seem just okay, minimally adequate for when I do. If I were smarter, I'd invest in a good set of aftermarket lights. I need more input before investing a bunch of bucks in this. Did you say you wanted to sell your old light? Maybe that would be a workable stopgap measure until I find a good replacement LED. I am not big on taking a man's property for free, though. I'd like to compensate you fairly.

Back