New to forum...from WI

Timbox

Standard Bore
Ride
Bandit 12050s
I have been riding sense I was 13, (55 now) and wrenching for almost the same amount of time. I seem to have a fascination with torque and mussel bikes, that is why I am here. I picked up a in fair shape Valkyrie two yrs ago and it just not what I thought it would be. I am a standard rider and like to sit on not in a motorcycle. Daily rider is a Bandit 1250S with a lot of Mike Walker parts on it. Also really like my Vtwin Intruder 1400.

The R3 has really got my attention for my next power cruiser bike. I am trying to do my do diligence and fined the issues with the yrs ect. Seems the shifting spring is the big issue on the older models? I would be looking at a 2008 that seems to have a broken spring.

Just wondering if I should buy a R3 with a known shifter issue? I think I have a good background, tools and knowlage to accomplish or learn accomplish the fix.
Thanks in advance.

Tim

WELCOME! to our R3 Family Forum from Miami, FL.... If you are handy at wrenching and the only issue is the dreaded spring... there's plenty of help here to help resolve. I have not had this issue; but if the price is right I would not hesitate. Any photos?
-MIG

This is the bike I am looking at in my area. 2008 with the spring issue and 22k miles. Asking price is $4500 OBO. As stateted above, I am not very happy with the Valkyrie, nothing wrong with it, just not as agressive as I am used to. I admit I could be looking for something way outside my price range. Just looking for advice and inspiration.
217765874_6096685400372389_7673158357187293389_n.jpg

Taking a quick look at her for that price, I believe you would get a good deal... especially if you can fix her yourself. I would expect a fully running bike to go for $2K more, which is what some folks have been quoted for the dealer to repair (I've read $800 to $2,500... but again, I've never had the issue on my '14 R3T). These bikes are a torque monster. With a $12 cable and $10 Android App you can unleash the power held back from the factory with a stock set-up. I do love the blue... but I must warn you... Black is actually the fastest color... :sneaky: :whitstling::roll: Keep us in the loop on how the deal does or doesn't go.
-MIG

Here's my girl, Fiona...
DSC_0934.JPG-F.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome. Still looking at used bikes in my area. I will have to sell the Honda Val first to have the cash in hand. I also need to test ride one of these wonderful looking bikes to make sure I like the seating position and feel of the foot rests. Thanks again.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Still looking at used bikes in my area. I will have to sell the Honda Val first to have the cash in hand. I also need to test ride one of these wonderful looking bikes to make sure I like the seating position and feel of the foot rests. Thanks again.
Welcome from sunny (mostly) Texas.

The foot pegs of the Standard are a fair reach for shorter inseams, the Classic has footboards that are nice, the Roadster is more sit up straight than the other two, so you'll need to sit or test ride a few to find that 'perfect' fit. I converted my Standard to a Classic back in 2009, parts are now impossible to find for that swap unless you get lucky.

As far as the Valkyrie goes I had one for a few weeks and thought it handled like a Sherman tank compared to my Rocket. The Rocket handles better, by far, and has more grunt throughout the rev range. The Valkyrie is extremely limited to performance enhancements because it's carbed and real pain to tune. The Rocket's injection makes tuning a lot easier. Just My Thoughts

Back