New to forum and new to Triumph (2005 Rocket III)

david kindred

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hello,
I just bought my first Triumph and got a 2005 Rocket III. I love this bike. I have a couple others but this is the BIG DOG. I have put some miles on it already and only had it a week. As soon as I got it I ordered D&D slip ons and installed them tonight. ..............Went for a ride and it ran very rough. There is no WOT or it stumbles. It only runs ok at 3000 rpm or lower. Just wondering if anyone could respond and give me some advice. It was completely stock and I have stock air breather. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. David.

Welcome David from Utah. Make no mistake about it you have come to the right place. I am sure someone here will have you a sure fire solid answer before sunrise.

I hpe so. I really know this thing has power and torque. I drag race Hayabusa's every weekend. But for around town and touring, I have always wanted the biggest and baddest.

By the way, Houston is where I call home.

Welcome from Oklahoma

You can add Houston,TX to your profile

R3TEX is by you

Welcome David from Australia .youve got nice bikes , plenty of good information here and ah we'll some pretty entertaining characters.

Welcome David,
I am no guru when it comes to tuning etc, but was the bike running good prior to the d&D slip-ons being installed?
Might require a richer tune to be uploaded.
Don't worry, someone with more knowledge will be along soon enough.

Thanks guys, I have the obd2 cord and have downloaded tuneecu. Can't seem to get a connection to my ecu. It says to use fdxxx2 or some thing like that. I have a map that is similar to my mods, downloaded from here. I just can't seem to connect. Don't know about you guys but it's 1:00 am here and I am not giving up yet.

Welcome David. If the bike was running OK before you changed the pipes over you could just put the stock ones back on until you figure out what's up with Tune ECU. You could even take the bike to a Triumph dealer and have them load the TORS tune for you, which would be close enough in the short term for the D&Ds.

Thanks guys, I have the obd2 cord and have downloaded tuneecu. Can't seem to get a connection to my ecu. It says to use fdxxx2 or some thing like that. I have a map that is similar to my mods, downloaded from here. I just can't seem to connect. Don't know about you guys but it's 1:00 am here and I am not giving up yet.

Welcome aboard. Not sure what part of Houston you are in...I'm actually in Waller County about 12 miles northwest of Katy. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to ask. My first suggestion is to get TuneECU working. I seem to remember someone else having comms issues between TuneECU and the ECU...Barbagris maybe...I think in the end he actually had to load an older driver to get it to work. Once you have TuneECU working you should be able to load whichever tune you want I think. Best I remember there are several stock Triumph tunes on their website that you can download. There is also a specific area on the forum for TuneECU stuff and it may be beneficial to start a thread there. I'm sure Tom or one of the other TuneECU gurus would be happy to help.

With regard to the exhaust...I can't imagine D&D slip ons making enough of a difference from the stock pipes to cause what you are describing, but if that's all you changed then it stands to reason that this is the culprit. I will tell you, as I'm sure others on here will, there is no substitute for some dyno time and a dedicated tune for your specific bike, but...the other alternative is to mount a fuel management device (PCV, etc) and start tinkering with that to get the performance you want.

Hope this helps...

Back