New to board -- WTB an R3.

MichInCT

Standard Bore
Hey guys...I've been looking for a new ride and have my eyes set on an R3. From what I can tell so far is that the bars are too forward, the suspension too stiff and the "bear claw" too ugly. Other than that, it seems to be a dream bike. I like the beetle bags, just wish they were more affordable. The fleetliner shield is cool too but it's not a full fairing with all the accessories that I'd prefer. A fuel gauge and clock and d/c plug should be standard equipment with an optional gps and satallite radio.

Before finalizing any deal, what should I be looking for ? The costs of having a dealer do an oil change doesn't make me too happy.

Hmmm.....are there gonna be any changes in the 08' model ?

OK...can't think of any more questions at this time.

Thanks, MichInCT

Welcome Mich, sounds like you are looking for a GoldWing? :lol: :lol: Have you taken the test ride yet? I am not an experienced long distance rider, but what I have done made me look for some of those creature comforts that you describe. That said, the motor is so awesome I would just find a way to strap an XM and GPS on the bike as is and hit the road. (and that is what I did this summer). And yes I agree the bear claw is THE UGLIEST feature on any motorcycle of any decade, with the possible exception of the paralever suspension on BMWs. :lol: :lol:

Goldwing, No. Valkerie Interstate Maybe

I went to the open house today and waited for a demo ride but I was sool. I agreed to come back later in the week as we ran out of time.

I talked with the guy who did get a ride and he found that it performed and handled great with exception ot the stiff suspension.

I'm not ready to jump in as of yet. I wanted to talk with R3 owners and see what issues you've had. From what I can tell, 2nd gear is an issue as well as warrantee and dealerships taking you .

Now customization looks like it would be fun to do ! That bear claw has to GO ! What an ugly piece. The salesman noticed how I would look it over time and time again trying to find a reason of its existance. Sitting on the bike I was bothered by it as I squeezed my knees against the tank. The grips were 2-3" too far forward.

Get me a bike that is set up for ME, has pegs and not floorboards, a full fairing w/ accessories, beetle bags and know that I'm gonna get a fair shake at the dealer and I'm in !

This may be too much to ask. I know a bit about how dealers work. I know that bikes, even new, have defects.

I've decided against the ST1300 because of lack of power and price. I've decided against the ZX-14 Concourse because it is plain ol' CHEESIE. Maybe I should get a Valkerie Interstate in good shape.

The Triumph would be a step above but it's scaring me a bit. Reading stories of having the bike in the shop with transmissioin issues several times and the price gouging that occurs doesn't set well with me.

If I'm gonna buy new, I want what I want. That's alot of $ to spend and not be happy.

The engine come blackened out with some, two tone paint jobs, floor boards...I'm not interested in any of it. Especially if it contains the color RED. Silver and Blue is the only 2 tone color scheme I like.

When do the 08' models come out ? An insight on next years model ? Is an extended warrantee available ? If so, how much ? Once you change the handlebars and add a rivco risers, will the fleetside fairing fit ? Are there any other fairings available ?

OK...I think that's it for now.

MichInCT

MichInCT said:
Hey guys...I've been looking for a new ride and have my eyes set on an R3. From what I can tell so far is that the bars are too forward, the suspension too stiff and the "bear claw" too ugly.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" :twisted:

But seriously, if you've been reading these forums, you've already come to the conclusion that all things are mutable.

B

Hi Mich and welcome from Cow-Rona California!

I'm somewhat of the poster child for adding Triumph's classic bar kit and Rivco Risers to the R-3 cause they surely do allow you to sit up straight with your elbows comfortably bent while you're riding. Changed my life.

So did the addition of a windshield. I'm no longer blasted by 140 mph winds!!

You are definitely on the right track.

Keep an eye on ebay to see what they really go for.

Good luck

Jimmy

The link below tells how to do a triple K&N filter conversion (for better breathing) and remove the secondary plates (for quicker throttle response) from your throttle bodies.

http://r3owners.com/viewtopic.php?t=320 ... ght=triple

With this mod you can say goodbye to the bearclaw (I think its called that because it is shaped somewhat like a bearclaw donut).

I did the conversion on my bike in about two hours (and I'm mechanically brain dead), plus a minor trip to the auto parts store for radiator overflow hose.

BusaJack did a splendid, really fine looking job on his conversion and you can see the pics at the bottom of page 1 of the following thread:

The silver bottles in the pics are, I believe, nitrous oxide bottles and are not part of the aforementioned conversion. Also, I haven't seen those particular filters before although mine look a lot like them, sans the slanted tops.

:)

By the time you decide, you'll be riding on ICE. Price gauging? You mean not giving them away? Pegs with a fairing? Buy the 'dresser' version of the classic and sell the floorboard set-up to someone who'll throw in his pegs. Once you throw your let over it when it's yours, all this minutia will evaporate (except swapping out the shocks).

Back