new to all this electronic stuff on Motorcycles

dadsrevenge

.040 Over
Ok folks I'm getting tired of paying the dealer to try and diagnose my Rocket. Last time I hope, what type of equipment do I need to diagnose this beast. I'm pretty handy when It comes to electronics. rewired the ignition switch with the keyless set up without a problem. I'm used to carb. bikes, only my second fuel injected ride. Computer controlled motorcycles can be a royal pain from what I'm seeing.

So the question is can you hook up and diagnose these with a scanner? Would it run smoother without all the idle issues if I put in a Power commander V with auto tune? I'm having the idle issues everyone else seems to be dealing with. Service manager stated he's frustrated trying to get these figured out. He's done the service bul. fixes and they come back. TPS?? That's my guess.

Ideas??

Visit the TuneECU forum to answer a lot of your questions.

Basically, if you have a laptop or netbook handy, you buy a usb cable off of Amazon for $20 or less and then download TuneECU.

That your best bet for diagnostics and testing.

Can you elaborate on the idle issues? if it is sticking around 2000-2500 rpm then you are most likely looking at a primary TPS wearing out. Being an 07 Classic Tourer, my assumption is that you have a silver engine. If so, then most likely you have the older TPS installed. When removed the insides will be all black. On the replacement part, the insides are blue.

TuneECU will help you install a new tps if necessary.

Lastly, if you have not installed a headlight relay kit, that should be a high priority. The Eastern Beaver kit is what most of us use but you're free to roll your own.

TuneECU will get you what you're looking for..you can read trouble codes, reset your TPS.. replace your TPS and calibrate the new one.. you can do a lot through TuneECU and it's FREE

You will need to purchase a USB/ODB2 cable TTP :: OBD-2 USB Cable

You will need to go to the link below and download TuneECU 2.5.3.

TuneECU - Links

There are others more versed in in TuneECU, who I am sure will answer.. but this will at least get you started..

Ok folks I'm getting tired of paying the dealer to try and diagnose my Rocket. Last time I hope, what type of equipment do I need to diagnose this beast. I'm pretty handy when It comes to electronics. rewired the ignition switch with the keyless set up without a problem. I'm used to carb. bikes, only my second fuel injected ride. Computer controlled motorcycles can be a royal pain from what I'm seeing.

So the question is can you hook up and diagnose these with a scanner? Would it run smoother without all the idle issues if I put in a Power commander V with auto tune? I'm having the idle issues everyone else seems to be dealing with. Service manager stated he's frustrated trying to get these figured out. He's done the service bul. fixes and they come back. TPS?? That's my guess.

Ideas??

Computer control can be a pain to learn but once there it's sooooo much easier and versatile than changing jets :p

ordered usb cable

I just ordered the usb cable, downloading tune ecu tonight. I'm going to have to deal with this through our dragon trip coming up next week. Ordered a primary TCU from local dealer, they should get it in by Friday rom what they tell me. Cross your fingers hope this works.:)

to elaborate on issue

The Idle has a mind of it's own. Idles from 600 rpm to 2200 rpm on its own. It doesn't throttle down when you let off. Stays up a 2000 when it wants to. I believe this bike has a mind of its own. Does not do this all the time.:confused: The local service manager states the bul. doesn't seem to fix these issues. We are both frustrated.

Heading to the Dragon last week of May. :D two wheel therapy

Which One?

Which Eastern Beaver product do I need for an '08 standard? As I see that people are still putting these on '12 Roadsters, apparently it's a big enough problem to deal with.

Thanks,
MarvinM

ok got the cable for tune ecu
got the program downloaded
figured out that windows will not find drivers !@@$!$@$@%@
Tune ecu looks like an easy program to follow if you can get it connected.
Ok where do you find the drivers? I've been run all over the internet finding them.

Back