new throttle body 2007 classic

johnderek

.020 Over
Ride
2007 rocket 3 classic
Had to bite the bullet and get a new throttle body, what i want to know is what to set up first the 2 TPS or balance the throttles and does the bike have to up to running temp to do them?.
Thanks if you can tell me!

Why have to get new throttle body?

First check the mechanical setup of the idle stepper motor is correct as per manual. This is because it is what moves cylinder 1 throttle butterfly, and then throttles 2 and by extension 3 are based off of 1.

Set the primary TPS as per vid below, so it's in the right place to start with.
But bear in mind you will also need to re-do it at the end for reason far below.

Then check/adjust the secondary TPS as per manual (0.60v +/-0.02v when fully closed), to be certain it won't upset your idle for balancing.

Then balance the throttles. It should indeed be warmed up, settled idle is enough.
Adjust front screw until cylinder 2 MAP matches 1's, then adjust rear screw until 3 matches 2.
Blip throttle after each adjustment.

Then finally reset ISCV / set primary TPS. This is last because it is located on the rear of the cylinder 3 butterfly, and after balancing throttles you will have moved things a little.

Last edited:
what does ISCV stand for? and many thanks for the info, got a new throttle body as my local Triumph dealer put in on there comp and the fault was the stepper motor ( that they said i could not get on it's own it only comes as full throttle body) anyway got it now, got it fitted and still sometimes the engine management light comes will have to back to dealer to see what the fault is, i cycle the ignition a few times and it goes off, but something not quite right somewhere but think it just needs dialing in correctly.

ISCV is Idle Speed Control Voltage if I remember correctly.
It pertains to the primary throttle stepper motor setting i.e. the stepper that controls idle speed.

Sounds like the secondary throttle stepper motor from what you say, as this one is not available on its own it has to come as part of the throttle body assembly.
I wonder what the fault was, as I've seen one on it before that was corrected by simply loosening its 2 mounting bolts and rotating it a fraction of a degree, then tightening bolts again. There was a bit of drag on its movement which caused the fault you see.

ISCV stands for Idle Speed Controller Voltage. It is also known as the Stepper motor. The stepper motor or Idle speed controller is available separately. I have included a picture of the assembly. It is Number 3 in the picture and costs approx $108 US. I would give the dealer a piece of my mind for suggesting you need to purchase the whole throttle body assembly (unless it was damaged somehow). The throttle body rarely needs replacing from what I've read on this forum. Both throttle position sensors, stepper motor, injectors and grommets are available for servicing the throttle body. Obviously they don't know what they are doing suggesting the whole assembly needs to be replaced.

1676293759491.png

1676293895403.png

Opps, looks like I was a bit late... Appreciate this bit of info Turbo.

After reading @R-III-R Turbo 's response, I forgot about that secondary controller for the upper butterflies many people remove. If it was a choice between replacing the throttle bodies and that secondary stepper, I'd try what R-III-Turbo suggested loosening off the bolts first. If that didn't work, manually open the butterflies fully all the time or remove them.

thanks for the info, but got the new one now, just need to gat it dialed in correctly, got the one that came off so will have a look at it and serif it moves easy or not.
thanks for the quick reply's

Back