Leeb1

Standard Bore
Hi all, new to the bike new to the forum. Have been riding for over 40 years, just had to get the 2021 Rocket 3 GT when I saw it. Love it. But when I picked it up, the Cruise control was not working. The little orange wrench showed up on the dash right away. The shol says the computer just neefs a reboot. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.

Hello @Leeb1 and welcome from Virginia. Sorry to hear about the little issue with the computer. I am sure someone here will have an answer for you or you can raise a little heck with your dealer.

Hello @Leeb1 and welcome from Virginia. Sorry to hear about the little issue with the computer. I am sure someone here will have an answer for you or you can raise a little heck with your dealer.
Thanks Boog....another question...trying to figure out which gas to use. Surprisingly, the owners manual is confusing....stated gas to use is "87, 91 test". Well, that's certainly clear?????

Thanks Boog....another question...trying to figure out which gas to use. Surprisingly, the owners manual is confusing....stated gas to use is "87, 91 test". Well, that's certainly clear?????
Not specific to the 2021 R3, but the older manual was likewise odd in its wording. I think the bottom line was the difference between the measurements in the EU vs the US. The 2.3L bikes are meant to run on 85 to 87 octane. Premium is not required.

Not specific to the 2021 R3, but the older manual was likewise odd in its wording. I think the bottom line was the difference between the measurements in the EU vs the US. The 2.3L bikes are meant to run on 85 to 87 octane. Premium is not required.
Hi Boog....I have another question about my new rocket GT. The shop says that for the first 1000 km oil change, they need my bike for 2 days, as they say the engine needs to be cold to do a proper oil change. They say they can't count on the level reading right if the oil is hot.
But the owner's manual says, like every bike I've ever had, the oil should be hot.
Very confused here. Can you help? Thanks.

Welcome Leeb1
The engine oil level is checked cold, on a stand, just start the engine for 2 minutes

Hi Boog....I have another question about my new rocket GT. The shop says that for the first 1000 km oil change, they need my bike for 2 days, as they say the engine needs to be cold to do a proper oil change. They say they can't count on the level reading right if the oil is hot.
But the owner's manual says, like every bike I've ever had, the oil should be hot.
Very confused here. Can you help? Thanks.
I bet the tech is confusing the oil change with the valve check. The valve check at 20K miles requires the bike to be cool for 24 hours prior to opening the top end to measure clearances. The immature kid in me says don't take it to a dealer like this for servicing, but double check their logic and try to discern if they are scamming you as a new R3 owner or if there is a valid reason for such oddity.
@F6C above is correct that oil should at least be somewhat warm simply to help it flow out better.

I bet the tech is confusing the oil change with the valve check. The valve check at 20K miles requires the bike to be cool for 24 hours prior to opening the top end to measure clearances. The immature kid in me says don't take it to a dealer like this for servicing, but double check their logic and try to discern if they are scamming you as a new R3 owner or if there is a valid reason for such oddity.
@F6C above is correct that oil should at least be somewhat warm simply to help it flow out better.
Hey all, just a follow up here on my question about the conflicting info concerning oil change on the Rocket. The service guy at the dealership explained it for me....the oil should be drained while hot, as usual, to facilitate full flow out. This is the same as every bike I've ever owned. However, in order to get an accurate reading of oil level when filling back up with fresh, the engine must be cold.
Thanks all for your help here.
Leeb

Back