New Rocket Recall Info

Pig9r

Living Legend
Here is a portion of the letter I got from Triumph today. I seem to remember someone in Europe posting that they had this problem. Evidently it was serious enough to warrant an all out recall.

You are correct Hondax. I think Triumph either failed to state the correct torque setting or state a setting at all. I checked my predelivery check list that the technician who set up my bike signed off on and that is not even on the list.

Dealer collected my bike for a problem , put the straps on in the back of the van to the handle bars , as they always do , put some tension on the straps which caused the handle bars to pull down to the tank , went down very easily , never had a problem while riding bike , but I and the driver were surprised .
Mine is not part of the above recall .

You are correct Hondax. I think Triumph either failed to state the correct torque setting or state a setting at all. I checked my predelivery check list that the technician who set up my bike signed off on and that is not even on the list.

Well at least my memory is somewhat compliant.....:) Tight handle bars be berry berry good!

Dealer collected my bike for a problem , put the straps on in the back of the van to the handle bars , as they always do , put some tension on the straps which caused the handle bars to pull down to the tank , went down very easily , never had a problem while riding bike , but I and the driver were surprised .
Mine is not part of the above recall .

Jeez Sully! Glad you found that out now, than while executing an emergency manuver....

Moral here guys is to check those bolts....often!:eek:

Having a drieway on a slight slant means manhandling my bike to some degree. While skull dragging the girl I've often found the handlebars twist down towards the tank, pretty annoying... On a side note I spoke to the dealer who tighetened them

Got the letter from Triumph Australia asking me to take bike in for Important saftey recall SB 371 rm 2006/007 OVERCHECK OF HANDLEBAR CLAMP BOLTS ROCKET 111 March 16 th 2006
Goes on to say to take bike to dealer ,will only take 6 minutes and will be free of charge....

My 06 was in for her 500 mi service last week, when the bars lock to lock - the screws holding the brake and clutch controls scraped the tank! He adjusted and retorqued the bars but they still moved very easily. I've not noticed them moving at all while riding. Having them pull back or down on accel would be bad enough, but I shudder to think what would happen during a high speed emergency braking maneuver!!:eek:

Anyway...My dealer and Triumph are standing behind it very well. Installing a new factory painted tank, new risers and associated hardware this week. Hope the problem ends there.

Geez, I've neverd missed any mechanical thing as much as I've missed my baby while shes been in the shop!:(

hi
probabley due to the **** fasteners triumph use (china) when i fitted the front screen i had some fasterners gall up (cold weld ?) and could not tighten or loosen, put a bit more pressure on spanners and sheared the bolt :mad:
the same happend when fitting rear backrest so copper slipped the threads before assy.
started to change some of the nuts and bolts allready to a better grade st/steel
mike

Back