New R3T, should it be tuned?

UtilityKnife

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I recently got a R3T, I added the TORS slip ons. Should i retune the bike even though it has only 300 miles on it or should I wait till after the first service. I also installed these.

They dropped right in but I have yet to do a night ride with them.

I recently got a R3T, I added the TORS slip ons. Should i retune the bike even though it has only 300 miles on it or should I wait till after the first service. I also installed these.

They dropped right in but I have yet to do a night ride with them.

Personally, I waited til after the first service. I broke mine in slowly, so I wanted to get used to the stock power before cranking it up. The re-tune was oh so easy and worth it.

Hello Utilitykinfe. I know several guys who had the dealer install the TORs with new tune before they picked up their Rockets. No harm at all with the tune and it is better with it than with the OEM exhaust tune. Do it.

It's always best for your engine to have a tune that better matches your intake and exhaust. By all means, have at it, though it's best to get the tune your dealer has, at least so long as you are under warranty.

You should have the TOR tune for the TOR mufflers. Other than that, break it in and get the 500 mile service. After that, what can you do to get more out of the bike without risking voiding the warranty, assuming that loading tunes yourself or putting aftermarket exhaust or intake might do that? The stock TOR tune is restricted by closing the secondaries. You could remove the secondary plates, have a PCV installed and have it dyno tuned. This will give you a big boost. If you have to bring it to the dealer, take the PCV out and put the secondaries back in. The bike is now completely OEM.

Legally, they cannot deny you warranty service on account of mods, unless they can show that the modification caused the failure.

Eventually, you want to hit the derestricting thread and get that tune installed. I run that one with a Ramair and my bike is on the leaner side, but by no means too lean, judging by the state of my spark plugs. The change in power is worth it, you literally get 30 horsepower and the bike revs to 6000, not 4000. I mean, sure, you can rev past 4000 if you want to with the stock tune, but there's no point, since nothing happens.

But I would definitely break the bike in first, if I were you, and the TORS tune from Triumph is probably not a bad idea.

Back