I have a set of big 43 liter Givi hard side cases with the 3 digit spin lock.
They were great until they started behaving like yours.
Sitting on the shelf now. I don't have to heart to sell them as is, or trash them either.
Don't give up on em. I took my lock apart and figured out what goes wrong. The discs are actually two parts. The upper disc with the numbers on it and then another wheel beneath the numbered one with a cutout in it and these two wheels are spring loaded together. First unscrew the two phillips head screws on the inside of the bags. Take the lock off, then take the one phillips screw out of the back of the lock and pry the back off carefully, not to lose any of the coil springs inside. Each wheel has a coil spring applying pressure to keep the two working together. Take the springs out and stretch them SLIGHTLY!!!!! The springs keep tension between the two wheels so the cutout stays lined up with the number you chose as your code. The problem is the two discs turn independently and then you're screwed!! You can always pick the TSA lock to open them, check out U-tube for that. Hope this helps!!!!

It's been so long I don't even remember how to set the combination.
Instructions came with the cases, but that's long gone.

[QUOTE = "Mark Olson, publicación: 699162, miembro: 9740"] No te des por vencido. Desmonté mi cerradura y descubrí qué sale mal. Los discos son en realidad dos partes. El disco superior con los números en él y luego otra rueda debajo de la numerada con un recorte y estas dos ruedas están cargadas por resorte. Primero desenrosque los dos tornillos de cabeza Phillips en el interior de las bolsas. Quite la cerradura, luego saque el tornillo Phillips de la parte posterior de la cerradura y haga palanca con cuidado, para no perder ninguno de los resortes helicoidales en el interior. Cada rueda tiene un resorte helicoidal que aplica presión para mantener a los dos trabajando juntos. ¡Saque los resortes y estírelos LIGERAMENTE! Los resortes mantienen la tensión entre las dos ruedas para que el recorte permanezca alineado con el número que eligió como código. ¡El problema es que los dos discos giran independientemente y luego te atornillas! Siempre puede elegir la cerradura TSA para abrirlos, revise el tubo en U para eso. Espero que esto ayude !!!! [/ CITA]

For a perfect understanding a tutorial with photos or video would be very interesting. ✌️

[QUOTE = "Mark Olson, publicación: 699162, miembro: 9740"] No te des por vencido. Desmonté mi cerradura y descubrí qué sale mal. Los discos son en realidad dos partes. El disco superior con los números en él y luego otra rueda debajo de la numerada con un recorte y estas dos ruedas están cargadas por resorte. Primero desenrosque los dos tornillos de cabeza Phillips en el interior de las bolsas. Quite la cerradura, luego saque el tornillo Phillips de la parte posterior de la cerradura y haga palanca con cuidado, para no perder ninguno de los resortes helicoidales en el interior. Cada rueda tiene un resorte helicoidal que aplica presión para mantener a los dos trabajando juntos. ¡Saque los resortes y estírelos LIGERAMENTE! Los resortes mantienen la tensión entre las dos ruedas para que el recorte permanezca alineado con el número que eligió como código. ¡El problema es que los dos discos giran independientemente y luego te atornillas! Siempre puede elegir la cerradura TSA para abrirlos, revise el tubo en U para eso. Espero que esto ayude !!!! [/ CITA]

For a perfect understanding a tutorial with photos or video would be very interesting. ✌️
My other lock just quit working so I'll pull that apart tomorrow and take some pics with explanations. Good thing I kept the lock pic tool I made!!!!!:banghead:

It's been so long I don't even remember how to set the combination.
Instructions came with the cases, but that's long gone.

Fairly simple.

With the lock in an open position (meaning you can release the mechanism), you push and hold the reset pin or button (look for it under the latches) while you update the combination. Release the pin, and voila, it should be set to your new code.

Seems this thread has two items...

One is the combination lock and the other is the key lock.

My other lock just quit working so I'll pull that apart tomorrow and take some pics with explanations. Good thing I kept the lock pic tool I made!!!!!:banghead:

The key lock I was fortunate enough to screw up and thusly have to take apart to fix. There are some slots and springs, and you can't do anything until you get it back into the black cylinder that they lock came in because that keeps them contained until you set the key inside. Only when the slots and springs are set inside the cylinder, and then you insert YOUR key to set the combination, can you then remove it from the cylinder and insert it back into the pannier.

It's certainly bad design. Anytime you need to supply 50% more parts (just in case), that's a bad design. My two cents..,

well i hope the the 'Triumph' folk are reading this and i would say that if you are, you will take this onboard and look at getting a new system for the panniers. It seems like the mounting brackets aesthetically look good on the bike cos they tuck away nicely when not in use...just needs some tinkering.

Same here. I think I know part of the problem. When you spin de wheels counter clockwise, it tends to change very often the number to unlock your zippers... Last time, tried the numbers from 000 to 436 before finally unlocking. No need to say that 436 was not my previous setting.

Still not sure it applies to the combination lock on the panniers... assuming that each number is fully placed.

There are 1000 possibilities... surely ... I can't see any repeated sequences here.. please circle the 280 that are there to help me.

1000.JPG
No, because, as I am turning the numbers on the lock, the combination can change again. So, in can try everything from 000 to 367 for exemple and during the time I do 368 to 999, the combination can change to 269...

Here's an update on my pannier problem. My dealer pointed out that to replace my bad pannier they would have to re key the bike because the lock mechanism can't be changed on the pannier.!! No thanks I said and started watching U tube videos on these locks. Bottom line is these locks are junk, easily defeated and very unreliable. My other pannier lock now resets the combination if i turn one of the dials to a new number every time I turn it. So if my opening combo is 123, I change the 1 to a 9 and now it won't open with 123, it might open with 223, or 923, I took the other lock apart once I picked the lock and removed it from the bag. and I believe the problem is with the design of the discs themselves. They are spring loaded to a slotted wheel underneath each disc and this allows them to be reset when you are picking your code and then they are supposed to stay together when you want to lock or unlock them. Problem is they sometimes stay together and sometimes move independently. I'll be working on the one again today to see if I can convince it to behave. I had my dealer tell Triumph I am very displeased with such a cheap lock on a rather expensive bike. So don't lock anything in your bags until you make sure the lock works repeatedly!!!! Still love the bike, makes me laugh every time I ride.
Exactly what I am experiencing. And I saw that the combination change seems to occurs when I spin the wheel counterclockwise. So, my quick solution for now is to keep them unlocked and if I really need to lock them, I turn the wheels clockwise...
I will test this for a few days hopping that it will work for now, but I hope the dealers offers me a better solution...

Another weird thing with my panier. One of the lock needs to be in a 90 degrees angle with the bike to be removed, the other one need to be parallel to the bike. It’s just looking weird when I have them both locked in place...

But hey! I love that bike to! I just think it’s unacceptable on that kind of pricy bike to have such basics flaws!

Don't give up on em. I took my lock apart and figured out what goes wrong. The discs are actually two parts. The upper disc with the numbers on it and then another wheel beneath the numbered one with a cutout in it and these two wheels are spring loaded together. First unscrew the two phillips head screws on the inside of the bags. Take the lock off, then take the one phillips screw out of the back of the lock and pry the back off carefully, not to lose any of the coil springs inside. Each wheel has a coil spring applying pressure to keep the two working together. Take the springs out and stretch them SLIGHTLY!!!!! The springs keep tension between the two wheels so the cutout stays lined up with the number you chose as your code. The problem is the two discs turn independently and then you're screwed!! You can always pick the TSA lock to open them, check out U-tube for that. Hope this helps!!!!
Do they stay in place now? Have you had other problems?

Back