speedfrk

.060 Over
Hello eyeryone. I'm the proud new owner of an 08 R3 Classic. I test drove a demo about two years ago, but wasn't in a position to buy one then. I found this used one locally with low milage that was in a like new condition with a good amount of factory accessories. I just ordered a new Corbin Fast Gun solo seat and plan on switching to a different exhaust sytem(probably D&D) in two months. So what's the scoop with these beasts? What does a owner need to know that a dealer, or Triumph itself don't, or won't tell you? For the moment the only specific question I have is what is the best overall tire pressure to run that gives the best handling? I read the owners manual, but if this bike is anything like my VTX1800 was the manufactures recommended pressures were not ideal for the best handling/ride. Thank you in advance.

speedfrk:
Welcome. We run 40-42psi rear and 35-38 front. Handling good. Tire life enhanced, but not great anyway (around 8K the best we have done).

We think you will really like the Beast, but if you ever ride the Farm to Market Roads around Maypearl, Texas, beware of sharp left handers.

We trudge on.

Welcome from Ohio. Congrats on the new ride. Given the add-ons and age, as you describe, you may have some upgrades installed from the previous owner. 'Speedfrk" appears to insinuate you will quickly catch on to many upgrades available to enhance the inherent speed/power of the r3 from its stock position.

Welcome to the site from Canada!

The very first mod I would be looking into is the Eastern Beaver Headlight relay. Without this modification the eventual failure of your ignition switch is a question of when rather than if. Just search "Eastern Beaver" on this site for more info. This will also replace the dim yellow headlights pre-mod to sparkling white post-mod.

Next most important mod is rear and front suspension.

After that - sky is the limit.

G'day and welcome from Downunder. Plenty of simple things you can do to make your Rocket faster and better. If you're doing exhaust you should also look at intake and then of course you need to be able to 'fix' the air/fuel mix. All detailed on here and not expensive (depending on how you go about it). VTX is a cool machine - my favourite Jap cruiser - but the Rocket will soon make you forget it.

I disagree with Johnny,
as far as the first mod goes.
IMO it should be getting rid of the anemic horn
and getting one that sounds like it belongs on the beast.
Stebel use to make a 139Db air horn, don't know if they still do or not
but about any horn is better (safer) than the one she comes with.
Welcome to the site and welcome to rocket ownership, from Oklahoma.
skip

Horn mod is also a must. I heard Stebel went out of business? Not sure. Even if true - sure there are many still in stock at various dealers.

I think another must mod is the PC-8 fuse block - also from Eastern Beaver. Allows you to plug in future goodies without having a messy spaghetti bowl around the battery.

Then you can start thinking about performance, comfort and bling. Exhaust, air intake, Gi Pro, Power Commander/Tune ECU etc.

Lots of fun ahead!

welcome I hope you like it makes the vtx seem slow as I use to have one just got mine two wekks ago and still learning these guy on here will stire ya right I think lol at least they have so far for me :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum. Best first mod, new shocks. The OEM are fine 2-up but don't fit the seat meat solo. Progressive fork springs are a must as well. Handling is waaaaaay better. You don't need to fret air pressure with a well sorted suspension.;)

Back