John M

.020 Over
Ride
Speed Twin, 1200 Scrambler , R3
Hi everyone. Brand new to this forum, and to Rockets. Really enjoying both.

Just got my GT a week ago, which is my first triple ever. Started riding at 15 and just turned 75. Have had every other engine configuration over the years, and currently own a Speed Twin and a 1200 Scrambler XE.

Only 360 miles so far, but loving it. Bike handles much better than any 700 pound bike I have ever ridden before.

I do have a question for those of you with experience with the same model. Engine is very smooth running except just off the bottom in first or second gear while between 2000 - 3000 RPM. Not lugging it, but just normal acceleration. Once in third gear or higher it’s completely smooth running. Is this a normal characteristic of the motor?
I know that first gear in the transmission is “straight cut” vs helical for the others, but I don’t think this is the reason as it does the same in second gear.
Not a big deal, as in most cases I’m not there for very long, but it’s certainly noticeable and just wandering if its normal.

TIA,

John

Last edited:
Hello John and welcome from Virginia. I don't have the GT but did ride one yesterday for about 25 minutes on the demo ride locally. My first thought is maybe the rider mode you are in is the answer. Have you noticed this in each of the four modes? If not, experiment with them and see if the same feeling is in each and let us know.
My next thought is maybe something to do with being full of break in oil. This may have no bearing on your concern, but after the first oil change, you may sense it is gone.

Thank you Boog.
I enjoyed reading your review.
I don’t think it’s related to the riding modes as I have ridden on both road and sport.
I will see what happens after my dealer does the 600 mile initial service.
It just may be a characteristic of this big triple.

Welcome. I’ll be listening in to see what I can learn about this. Keep us informed after your break in service.

“Snatchy” throttle in low gear is an isdue for the new water cooled twins. On my T120, this was a slight sputtering while holding the throttle steady in 1st at around 2500-3000 rpm. This seemed to go away in rain mode. The throttle gets more sensitive as you go from rain to road to sport mode. On the older Rockets, throttle sensitivity was reduced by closing the secondary throttle plates. On the new bikes with ride by wire throttle, it’s done in the tunes. Tuneecu now works on the water cooled twins. The EV tables control how much the throttle plate opens (%) as a function of throttle position (TP) (%) and rpm. So 10% TP might open the plate 7%. I found that putting the lower values from the rain mode table into the road mode table up to 6% TP calmed it at the low end. So, try rain mode.

WELCOME to ya, "Older than I", from WA State!
WORMs are always enjoyed around here!
(Wise Old Riding Men) :thumbsup: :D

Back