R3Tex

Living Legend
Ride
'13 Rocket III Roadster
Hey guys...Interested in your thoughts on a project idea I have. I want to build an old school hard tail bobber. I am looking at a 1980 Yamaha XS650 as a base bike. Found one for online for $1,000 obo. Will probably offer $500 or less. My intention is to cut the ass end off, stretch it a little, lower it (probably a lot), rip off everything not absolutely essential, suicide shifter maybe?, rebuild/build up the engine, and paint it.

I have never played with one of these before so anything I should be looking for? Any inherent problems?

Hello Morris, I too may have a project similar, except I plan to restore one. A buddy just told me he would give me his XS-650. It is all complete he says but I'll need to run the request for title. That will need to be correct before I dive into the machine; which I have never restored a bike before so should be fun. I haven't taken delivery of it yet but should have it in the next few days.
XS-650.jpg

Sounds like fun project - it's too bad old Triumph twins cost an arm and a leg, even when seriously rough.

How about this as a basis? :D

Link - Triumph American C

It's even got nice wheels already (aluminum rim spokes)

Last edited:
I have a 1980 XS1100 great bike going in a straight line. Going around a curve with any speed is a whole lot of fun. Can I say you will need a lot of ASS pucker for the curve :eek::eek::eek:

Hello Morris, I too may have a project similar, except I plan to restore one. A buddy just told me he would give me his XS-650. It is all complete he says but I'll need to run the request for title. That will need to be correct before I dive into the machine; which I have never restored a bike before so should be fun. I haven't taken delivery of it yet but should have it in the next few days.
XS-650.jpg

Bobby, that particular Bike is an XS 650 Special a rare bike these days, would be well worth restoring to original condition.

xs%20650.jpg

Back