I'm not overly fond of them myself.

Neither am I. My Mad Dogs , perfectly illegal in Switz.;), are at the upper limit of my own noise tolerance level, i'd confess.

But they are so... QUIET compared to the vast majority of Harleys I saw --and heard-- last time I was in the US. More than just obtrusive: Dominant in a... tyrannical sort of way. Thus detestable.

Jamie

I'm not overly fond of them myself.

I might add that I'm an AMA member but I don't support all their views. There is absolutely nothing more irritating that a straight piped potato bike blasting by you as it strains mightly trying to get to a sub legal speed. I seem to notice that the louder they are, the slower they are.:)

There is a Happy Median

I think a motorcycle should sound like a motorcycle. I have been riding something on two wheels since I was five years old and besides the feel of the wind, it's the throaty sound made when shfiting gears or just cracking the throtttle. I can still remember installing a piece of straight pipe instead of a muffler on my first mini bike. That is why I like my old Bonnevilles, when you kick them over and head out on a still summer night the neighbors know you are leaving but you aren't knocking out their window panes. As far my Rocket, I love the Jar's. You can control the noise via speed, but when openned up I like the sound, especially when backing off in the lower gears (and yes there is some popping). I am still amazed at the increased performance by the addition of the pipes and PC. The Beast is loud, but no where near the Harleys you hear with straight pipes or those **** little Honda Accords with tailpipes the size of tree trunks. As far as loud pipes saving lives, that is bull****. You can get ran over by the deaf 84 year old lady no matter what you sound like and it is going to HURT.

Last edited:
Back