New oil turned brown

hinglby

.040 Over
Ok, this is weird. I just finished installing a new clutch. In the process I renewed the coolant. After an initial test ride I checked the coolant level and oil level (new oil) and all was fine. Rode 60 miles round trip to work yesterday and checked the fluids when I got home. Coolant was 2oz lower than the hot line on the expansion tank. Oil was 12oz over full. I pulled out the 12oz of extra oil and noticed the oil is darker than the oil I drained at the beginning of this project that had 5000 mile on it.

My first thought was coolant in the oil, but this would be a foaming situation and the coolant level would be lower. what are the other possibilities? Would a new clutch friction set cause discoloration of the oil? The oil has no odd smells and is brown like a weak cup of coffee or tea.

Odd to say the least.

Can you post a picture of the oil? That would help greatly.
Water will generally make it look like chocolate milk.

As said oil contaminated with coolant/water will go lighter not darker, darker normally indicates it has done it's job and cleaned something.....was this oil the same as the last oil that was in there? Maybe this oil darkens quickly versus the last?

And you drained the oil from all three drain plugs?

I am with Paul on this did you pull all three plugs out of the sump when you drained the oil?
By weak cup of coffee are you meaning a weak cup of black coffee or does it look like it has creamer in it?
If you did not pull all three plugs I got you leaving a little oil in the engine which would dirty the oil enough to notice a color difference. In this cas you will be alright just remember to pull all three plugs in the sump pan next time.
2 ounces low on the bottle is nothing if you just changed the coolant as you probably still had soem air in the head.

You did not say but how did the bike run the 60 miles you road it?

I pulled all three drain plugs as well as the crank position sensor to make sure it was clear of any FOD.

When I check the oil the engine was at ambient temperature.

I used the exact same oil, Castrol 10/40 4T.

Light coffee as in no creamer or sugar.

I'm 200 mile along since this issue started. I put a mark on the expansion tank to make sure the coolant level isn't changing, it isn't. I pulled out 8ozs ant put it in a clean dry water bottle to see if anything settles. No contaminates have settled and the color is consistent. The oil level hasn't changed at all. The bike runs actually better than is has for the last 1500 miles.

I think I'll just keep an eye on everything for another 1000 miles and then change the oil/filter again and see if it clears up. It's just odd that of all the oil changes I've done in 80,000 miles, this is the first time this problem has happened. In fact the oil looks worse now that oil with 5000 miles on it.

I'll try and post a picture this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, ideas and questions. It's awesome to have all these minds working on all the possibilities.

Back