EODmarthon

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 R3, 2016 Yamaha XSR 900, 2011 BMW S1000rr
I'm new to the R3. I've been drooling over them for years and found a used 05 with very low miles for a decent price. It won't be dropped off until next week but I'm looking forward to some great riding. I've been riding off and on my whole life, but this is my first big bike. Anyone who has advise for a rider who's only ridden light sport/standard bikes transitioning to the R3 would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to the family! She's a big girl and will let you know right away if your basic skills are little laxed (like stopping with the handlebars not straight). That said, once you're more comfortable, her handling and corning is excellent... better than my brides '11 Fat Boy actually. As mentioned though, watch how and where you park as she's tough to move around on a graded or gravel area. You'll find lots of help and insight here. I'll be finding myself in the Miami area come this fall. Be sure to share photo's of your new beauty when you get her! :ninja:
-MIG

Anyone who has advise for a rider who's only ridden light sport/standard bikes transitioning to the R3 would be greatly appreciated.
Treat it gently. Or you will get bitten.

The brakes are good. Not OUTSTANDING, but well above average. But they have to stop a lot more!.
The rear brake has far more grip than most sports bikes - It can and will lock up if you "hit" it.
It most certainly will not corner like a sportsbike unless the suspension has been upgraded. It handles better than most "cruisers" nd is for its size nimble, but it's not a sports chassis.
I would NOT recommend you attempt clutch-less gear changes. Either up or down. EVER!
How are the tyres?. R3's eat them fast and can wear them asymmetrically. Weight plus torque equals wear.

And yes it is a big heavy beastie. If you park expecting to paddle it out again backwards up any sort of incline - You will curse when you try.

I'm new to the R3. I've been drooling over them for years and found a used 05 with very low miles for a decent price. It won't be dropped off until next week but I'm looking forward to some great riding. I've been riding off and on my whole life, but this is my first big bike. Anyone who has advise for a rider who's only ridden light sport/standard bikes transitioning to the R3 would be greatly appreciated.
If ya pierce your cheeks like them youngsters nowa days do. You will be able to hang some weight on each one to pull the s.h.i.t. eating grin you'll be sporting back down. Too much grin will make the cheeks force your eyes closed :)

WTF first one pops up in Navarre now one pops up in Niceville now I am getting really pissed:D did you happen to get your license at NWFSC and if so was a handsome looking Scotsman your instructor?
I did my advanced riders course there 3-4 years ago. I don't recall who the instructors were.

Back