DrewE

Standard Bore
Hey guys!

Joined up about a month ago, but this is my first post on this message board. Ive been lurking for a while, soaking up as much info as I could. Im a member over on another board (xjbikes.com), and Ive been reading some other boards that Im planning to join, especially the ZX forums.

I took an MSF course, and got my M class liscense in December of 2011, bought my first bike in January of this year. Its a 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim. Had a lot of fun with it so far, learned quite a bit on it. But its a beater, and she's on her last leg right now. Ive got a deal with a friend of mine who is going to buy it from me and try to restore it, and hopefully this weekend Ill be picking up an '09 ZX6R.

A few months before I got my liscense I had no clue who Triumph was, or what a Rocket III Roadster was, but I was looking for sporty cruisers. Not a Harley fan, so the VRod and their race version of the 883 didnt really appeal to me. I had seen a bike while I was on my way to school that looked like a cruiser, but had been modded to ride more like a sport bike. So I went home after class and started googling things like "Sport Cruiser". One of the first results that came up was the R3R. It looked really badass, so I started reading more about it. Then I found the Triumph promo vid for the Roadster... To say that I became enamored would be an understatement. From that moment on my only thought has been that I have to get that bike. So starting from scratch (the MSF course) Im working my way up through progressively more powerful bikes and trying to learn as much as I possibly can.

One of the most nagging questions I have though, and its something ive been googling a lot lately and not having a lot of luck is, I want to know what people are on average paying for insurance on this bike. Anybody?

Firstly, welcome. You haven't told us much about youself but it sounds like you're, shall we say, quite a bit younger than most of us on here. You also haven't told us where you live. As you're a beginner I'd have to say you're doing the right thing in working your way up to a Rocket. They are not only big and heavy but extremely powerful and it would be real easy to get into strife on one - and not just by going too fast. As for insurance, it of course depends on many things including age, experience, driving/riding record (number of accidents, infringements etc), where you live and how the bike is garaged.

In Australia my bike is insured for around $18,500 (they cost a lot more here than in the US) and it costs me somewhere between $400 and $500 (I think) for full comprehensive insurance. But I'm 55 and have been a licensed driver/rider for 38 years (since I was 17), have had virtually no acidents and pretty good (although nowhere near perfect) record in terms of infringements. I live in a "good" neighbourhood and my bike is garaged under cover and securely. If I was under 25 I'd be paying at least 3 times as much if they'd insure me at all on a Rocket.

Suggest you contact a few insurance companies, give them all your details and ask for quote.

Gday welcome to the board. Firstly you won't find a better bike or abetter group of owners than r3owners.net people.

Owning a rocket is definitely a lifestyle and personality statement more than just a bike to ride. Anyone serious about their riding that likes a big bike can only love these beasts! So if you think you are ready to be part of a special group of people that truly appreciate exclusive and finer things in life then a Rocket is one of the best choices in the world. Conversely if you only want a bike to TRY and be cool, just buy a Harley T shirt and Key ring, no need to buy the bike. If people ask to see it just tell them its being repaired. Then you can be like the other Harley owners! LOL

On a serious note, many people say Rockets are a handful but a few mates who can ride but not that experienced have ridden mine (when it was stock) and they loved it and thought it was very easy to ride compared to other bikes. If you don't fear the bike but respect it, respect it weight, power and size then you should be ok. If you are not sure if you can trust yourself yet, perhaps work up to it.

Insurance, well....I'm not as old as some...ahh...hmm, well my wife is 36 (does that count) and I pay about $1,000 per year, but I have spent a fair bit on my ride and live in Melbourne, Australia and our city premiums can be a bit. Best bet is to get a quote and ensure its in your budget.

Let us what you do. Oh and by the way,out of respect for the old fogies on the site I won't mention the odd colour choices but for us young kids, we know black is the coolest! From the sounds of it you are pretty cool and pretty young so let me guess, you reckon the Matt Black is the ultimate,, right?

Sorry Canberra but I had to have a dig! Love ya brother.

So, Mrs Ponters is a cougar???????

Good advice about respecting the Rocket. It truly is an easy bike to ride if you can relax into it.

And yes, black is cool and therefore the colour of choice for everyone who WANTS TO LOOK cool. Of course if you REALLY ARE cool you'll have the confidence to go with something a little less common. ;) :D

So, Mrs Ponters is a cougar???????

Good advice about respecting the Rocket. It truly is an easy bike to ride if you can relax into it.

And yes, black is cool and therefore the colour of choice for everyone who WANTS TO LOOK cool. Of course if you REALLY ARE cool you'll have the confidence to go with something a little less common. ;) :D

Ahhhh, fffkk, i hate it when i have to concede to a wiser comment.. 10 points mate

welcome from tn as far as the insurance here stb will have to answer that as she takes care of that but i do know that the insurance will drop a little when my last speeding ticket comes off the record :eek:

Welcome to the forum. I pay about $263.00 for full coverage. It will depend on your age and the insurance company you buy from. Experience has little to do with it. There may be some discounts for the MSF class (and rightly so) but the major factor is age (over 25 good, under bad).:cool:

Welcome, Drew. We pay around $700/year to insure the Beast. We think that is a bit high, but we have been too lazy to cast about for a better rate (thinking that the difference will not be substantial anyway).

Ride safe.

We trudge on.

Welcome DrewE from Perth downunder
I am one of the younger members at 67 ;) and I only have 50 years in the saddle :cool: but Im a good boy :p with 60% no insurance claim over the years so I pay around A$ 450 a year @ A$18000.. with extras. I hate insurance companies they take ya hard earned cash for years then argue if they have to payout :mad:

Hope this helps and you can find a good Insurance quote good luck..

Ed... Insure My Ride online..

Hey DrewE, Welcome to the site for Brisbane, Where you from?
I have a 2010 R3R Matt Black of course (Shut up Canberra and hanso), I am 44 this year and pay AUD$430 yearly, I have lost my license twice and have been on this license for 15 years or so (been pretty good) I went through InsureMyRide.com.au on line and saved 25%.

Awesome Bike

Back