New member / No Triumph yet

MichInPa

Standard Bore
Hello folks, I'm Mike in Pa./USA . I've been interested in getting a Rocket III for years but I have been using my Jap bikes (Kaw Voyager, Honda V65 Magna) and am looking to upgrade.

What scares me from the R3 a bit is the riding position with the handlebars spread out and all the posts about bikes having idle problems. What I don't want is a garage queen.

Have the newer models fixed the idle problems ? Has anyone found a more suitable set of handlebars ?

I prefer the guages on the handlebars vs the tank, one headlight over two.

What year would you suggest ?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike from Brisbane Australia.
Sounds to me you are looking for a combination of a Roadster/Classic and a touring.
Roadster or Classic have gauges on Hbars and two headlights and the Touring has gauges on tank and a single head light.
You might want to investigate to see if a singe light set up would fit the classic or roadster front end, I cant see why it wouldnt.
As to the idle issue!!! if it happens and you fix it - it shouldnt happen again, but buy the newest one you can afford.

changes

Are there any changes from year to year ? I believe I read that Triumph made modifications in 2010.

Welcome from New Jersey. You will most likely love the Rocket as I do. Not sure where you are from but in the states most dealers let you test ride their demo models. Then you will see if it isfor you, just give it a little time to get used to. I almost passed away 10 weeks ago with a heart attack. Buy it now, cause you never know!!

Mich give the dual headlights some time and you will wonder why every bike does not have two. Its a special triumph look believe me it seem ugly at first but you will change your ming the touring is designed to grab to riders from Harley which it does. it bars also seem wider then the standard /roadster bars. The classic models after 06 have pull back bars which are a inch or so narrower then the standard bars. Like was suggested test ride all and take you check book with you. Unless your trading one pf your bikes inhave someone take you tothe dealers for the test drive. Then you won't have to worry about getting two vehicles home from the dealer:D

Mitch,
Welcome to the forum.
Any harley bars will fit,
they're all 1".
go sit on the bikes at the harley dealers and find a set you like then go to the parts counter and buy em.
Here's a pic of mine,
yes, they're harley bars, road king bars with 5" harley risers.

good luck, and again,
WELCOME

Mitch,
Welcome to the forum.
Any harley bars will fit,
they're all 1".
go sit on the bikes at the harley dealers and find a set you like then go to the parts counter and buy em.
Here's a pic of mine,
yes, they're harley bars, road king bars with 5" harley risers.

good luck, and again,
WELCOME

Think he said his name is mike mate ;) Mitch is my name lol . Anyway welcome to the site mike

cable adj

when you put the new bars on, did you have to get new brake and clutch cables ?

Mike

yep,
you're right E.MITCH,
sorry Mike, my bad, the MichinPa is what threw me I guess,
either that or too many beers.
take your pick, but i got it straight now (I think).
anyway to answer your question MIKE.
(see, I got it).
anyway, the only thing I had to have made up
was a new front brake line from the banjo bolt to the fluid resovour.
the rest of the lines and cables just got rerouted.

Back