New Member Checking in

geneseo1911

Naturally Aspirated
Ride
2007 Rocket Classic, 2018 Rocket Roadster
I've been lurking for a couple weeks now, I have a couple questions (which I will post in a more appropriate place), so I figured I ought to introduce myself first.

I started riding when I turned 18 on a '78 Goldwing I re-built from a box of parts. Rode all through college, but quit when I started my family, mainly because I didn't have a place to store the bike at the time. Now, 7 years later, I pulled the 'wing out to get her running and sell, but the bug bit me again, and I've probably put on 4000 miles this summer.

I started to get a desire for something more modern and a little quicker. I live in East Central Illinois, and around here we don't have many curves, so fun on a motorcycle equates to acceleration. I don't like the look or riding position of super sports, the VMAX looks too 'v-twin'ish, the V-rod IS too v-twinish (not a v-twin fan for a lot of reasons), and the Diavel is hideous. But when I saw the Rocket....I knew I had to have one.

I instantly fell in love with the massive longitudinal engine, which is reminiscent of some of the most beautiful motorcycles ever made IMO; the 4 cylinder Indians. I love to see a motorcycle that is 'all engine'. My Goldwing, MotoGuzzis, R series BMW's, naked sportbikes. Basically anything but a V-Twin, lol.

So after riding a new Roadster (which is still what I REALLY want), I found a cheap '07 Classic on Craigslist, and rode her home. After cleaning up a few wiring messes, and loading a decent tune, the bike is unbelievable. I have a few little things to do, but I'm pretty happy. The bike came with Jardine exhaust, airbox delete, sissybar, short windshield (which I'm going to sell, did I mention I like naked bikes?), Triumph bags, PIAA driving lights, and Triumph 'dresser bars' (the flimsy ones) and highway pegs.

Anyway, TLDR version:
Bought this, happy now:
View media item 10443View media item 10442

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Looks like and hope you got a real bargain. Nice one. Happy and safe riding

Welcome to the forum mate from NSW Australia. She looks beaut. I just fitted a dart screen on mine and it still feels naked with a lot less impact on your chest. Enjoy and Respect her.

G'day and welcome. Are you keeping the Goldwing?

I...dunno. It's going to be hard to let her go, but I'm pretty sure the Rocket is the keeper, and I really can't justify two bikes. It's a real shame, as I got her running better than ever. When I was young I couldn't afford to do everything 'right', and now I got it exactly as I want it. I even put a Corbin seat on just about 600 miles ago. It's a cool old bike, but the Rocket is SOOO much faster, and actually handles better. Turning radius is a lot worse, though.

I really didn't expect to find a Rocket so soon. I gave the fellow what I considered a very lowball offer, but he was motivated to sell, and it was late in the season, so he took it. After we made the deal he told me that it was what the local Triumph dealer offered him on trade-in. He has a new Speed-Triple, as well as an Indian Roadmaster, so I think everybody came out happy.

Welcome from another of Aussie sounds like you will fit in Here amongst us other nutcases in the "Nut House"

Back