New Lithium battery

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
So, my continued saga of poor electric capacity has driven me to a third battery. This one is from Battery Tender and is a lithium fellow rated at 480 LCAs, not CCAs.
My 310 CCA Vatra left me stranded at work Friday when Temps were just a few degrees below freezing. Had to get a coworker jump start it after I unsuccessfully tried rolling starts twice. (I left it at the bottom of the hill after the second try. Pushing Brahma up a hill is a once a day endeavor).
Anyway, another cool feature to the BT battery is it has an extra set of terminals thus I can hook the accessory cables separate from the bike leads.
I used the supplied spacers with the battery as lithium takes up less space.
I'll let you know how this one works over the winter...
20170108_095346.jpg
20170108_095355.jpg
20170108_102901.jpg

Last edited:
Hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted, with maybe a report this time a year from now. You're the best tester I know.

..... Temps were just a few degrees below freezing ....

A note with regard to your new Lithium battery - Lithium Cells do not do their best work at low temperatures.
It can give the appearance of being discharged - similar symptoms, with slow laboured cranking
It's not truly 'discharged' however - the ions are simply not mobile enough at lower temperature so it cannot produce current.
The 'solution' in this event is completely contrary to common logic with a low-charge conventional lead-acid battery:
You turn on the key, headlights on main beam - any other high current accessories you might have;
this load will self-heat the battery and as it warms up it will get those ions mobile and create the current of which it's capable.
You may need at least a full minute - perhaps longer - of this pre-warm action before attempting to start.

Generally I would advise against Lithium cells in low temp environment.
I have a Shorai in my Daytona - but I live in CA :D

I put a Shorai in mine. It certainly cranks the bike over much faster than the Triumph unit.
after 6 months my new battery gave out ( cheap unit from canadian tire store ) so I went back to a better unit which gave good results before, ODYSSEY PC 680 last one lasted 4 years I will install in the spring and carry a small lithium battery in the filter box for emergency ...just in case.

Might want to get you one of these and stick in your saddlebag. Beats the heck out of pushing your bike around:

NOCO - Lithium Jump Starters, Battery Chargers & More

I bought one a year ago and jumped off other motorcycles and my lawnmower.
No matter what condition the battery is in you got a jump box in you bag.
When I'm in my truck I throw the NOCO in with me just in case someone needs a jump. Won't have to hook my truck up to their vehicle.

Boog... look's like you way have already completed the battery cable upgrade but I would upgrade your starter as well. I did both to my Roadster and can't believe the difference how fast and easy the bike cranks over. You living in a colder environment it would be just about mandatory. ;)

Last edited:
So, my continued saga of poor electric capacity has driven me to a third battery. This one is from Battery Tender and is a lithium fellow rated at 480 CCAs.
My 310 CCA Vatra left me stranded at work Friday when Temps were just a few degrees below freezing. Had to get a coworker jump start it after I unsuccessfully tried rolling starts twice. (I left it at the bottom of the hill after the second try. Pushing Brahma up a hill is a once a day endeavor).
Anyway, another cool feature to the BT battery is it has an extra set of terminals thus I can hook the accessory cables separate from the bike leads.
I used the supplied spacers with the battery as lithium takes up less space.
I'll let you know how this one works over the winter...
20170108_095346.jpg
20170108_095355.jpg
20170108_102901.jpg
what!!!! you still have the original plumbing:laugh:

Back